Kiev 4 shutter getting stuck

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a Kiev 4 arrive from ebay, sold as spares or repairs with a stuck shutter.
Managed to get the shutter freed after a bit of acrobatics with the top dial and shutter button.

At the moment it works down to 1/25, but anything slower and it gets stuck again.
1/10 will work once, then gets stuck on the next try.
Also 1/10 is noticably different from 1/25, more so than between 1/25 to 1/50.

Anyone come across this low speed problem before?
I can easily live without going below 1/25, but it'd be nice if I could get it working all the way down.

Cheers.

You may get away with re-tensioning the shutter curtains, but it may be due to incorrect lubrication or dried up lubrication, dirt or corrosion.
This is a "feature" of other Russian cameras as well, the Zorkis, FEDs and Zenits suffer the same.
I have never stripped a Kiev shutter down, but if it is like the others, it isn't hard (Kiev has vertical not horizontal curtains)

Thanks for the answers and the links, loads of useful stuff there. Had a look at getting the repair manual for a dollar, but they want my name and address and everything just for a 1 dollar sale. Might get it in the future if I really need to.

Took some test shots at various speeds , and they came out ok. The lens seems quite good as well.
Loading film is a bit of a mission. I think the take up spool isn't original, so I'll try a Leica spool which clamps the leader in.

Test shot below.

Attachments

• kiev 4_001 - Copy_01.JPG
    kiev 4_001 - Copy_01.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 20
Back