'kinell. What a storm we've just had!

Well, yeh, but there's doubt about that now.
The story was that she was taken from Roughlee Hall to Lancaster Assizes, and hence hung there along with 9 others.
The consensus now is she lived in Crowtrees which is just over the hill near Barrowford.

I heard about the doubts regarding Roughlee Hall but there is a Crowtrees in Roughlee near the school, only a couple of hundred yards from the Alice Nutter statue. But, there is also one in Barrowford?? :thinking:

I heard about the doubts regarding Roughlee Hall but there is a Crowtrees in Roughlee near the school, only a couple of hundred yards from the Alice Nutter statue. But, there is also one in Barrowford?? :thinking:
Well, not actually in Barrowford but very close.

Started at 6.50 & went on for 1.5hrs.
Haven't seen one like it in the UK for donkey's years. Barely 2 seconds between flashes of sheet lightning & for some time it was constant without any breaks at all. :cool:

Towards the end of the storm the forked lightning was unbelievable, shooting in all directions, then fanning out covering about half of the sky. :wideyed:

Freesat on tv down for nearly an hour. Power off for a few seconds. About an inch of rain has fallen too, so some local flooding.
Sheet and forked lightning are the same thing, if it looks sheet, it has clouds in the way, if it looks forked, it doesn't. So, as the storm passes and the rainclouds pass with it, it appears to change from sheet to forked.

I was always taught that sheet lightning was cloud to cloud, and forked lightning was cloud to ground?

From Wikipedia -

Forked lightning
is cloud-to-ground lightning that exhibits branching of its path.
Sheet lightning is cloud-to-cloud lightning that exhibits a diffuse brightening of the surface of a cloud, caused by the actual discharge path being hidden or too far away. The lightning itself cannot be seen by the spectator, so it appears as only a flash, or a sheet of light. The lightning may be too far away to discern individual flashes.

Not sure how much stock I'd put in Wiki.
The majority of cloud to ground is actually met way above ground by a little arc of lightning called a stepped leader, which emanates from an earthbound source. This means that the main discharge power of the downstroke is dissipated.
If that didn't happen, the damage caused during storms would be colossal.
But whether it be cloud to ground or cloud to cloud, it's all forked.

I was just stating what I have always been told, and Wiki seemed to confirm that.
However I am always willing to learn different! Surely if it's on t'internet it must be right! :)

which emanates from an earthbound source.
That's what I was always led to believe too.

edit ..

Cloud-to-ground lightning comes from the sky down, but the part you see comes from the ground up. A typical cloud-to-ground flash lowers a path of negative electricity (that we cannot see) towards the ground in a series of spurts. Objects on the ground generally have a positive charge. Since opposites attract, an upward streamer is sent out from the object about to be struck. When these two paths meet, a return stroke zips back up to the sky. It is the return stroke that produces the visible flash, but it all happens so fast - in about one-millionth of a second - so the human eye doesn't see the actual formation of the stroke.

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/

Last edited:
Back