Kingfisher First Attempt

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
First attempt shooting wildlife of any kind.

Kingfisher_resized.JPG
[/IMG]

C+C Welcome

Not bad! It's quite serene, and I like environmental shots! A tad tighter crop might be beneficial though (y)

I wish I could get one to pose out in the open like that, nice first go though, and whilst I like environmental shots, a touch more of the bird would be a plus.

You either get closer (not easy) or get longer glass (not cheap).

Nice first effort though (y)

Last edited:
On a technical note it is a tad under exposed, you may be able to adjust it slightly in PP.

Still good for your first go at wild birds.

Kaz would kill to get that sort of chance :LOL:

Andy, nice shot, I like it. Agree with a tighter crop, but hey who's that bothered I'm just soooooooo jealous. :p

I've been after one of these for ages!!!... Don't really know of any places I MIGHT even see one, let alone get a shot of one here in Essex.

Bet you'll be back there again SOON. :LOL:

Well done :clap:

cheers guys, that was with the 70-200 and 1.4 EX so will give it a try with the 400 and 1.4

cropped in a bit more
Kingfisher3.JPG
[/IMG]

Nice shot Andy and congrats (y)
Yep there are a few here that would be pleased as punch with that shot.

Just lucky really i went to a reserve ive walked round for years and found that a couple had started nesting there. the wardens set up this post about 30 metres from one of the hides

Nice Andy prefer the edit

where did you take the shot Andy ?

Cheers Dave :) quite pleased with it but def want to get a closer shot. Will need to take a hacksaw with me though cos the flippin windows in the hide aren't big enough to fit the 400 through :-(

Mere sands, near rufford hall. Was last summer, but been trawling through my photos and thought id stick it up,

On Another point im trying to research a tripod and head setup that i can pan with

Ok, a the moment i use a Manfrotto 680B monopod for all sports, this works ok but isnt great for long periods (1DMKIII and 400 f/2.8). I have a Manfrotto 055XB tripod and this simply cant handle the weight and the legs aren't sturdy enough. Does anyone know of a good tripod and head combo that would be sturdy enough for me to be able to leave my kit setup without fear of it falling over, I want to be able to pan with this setup and Budget isn't to much of an issue.

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Many Thanks

Andy

Also BIG thankyou for the responses of everyone so far. I think im going to try more wildlife shooting now :)

Last edited:
I put Meresands in my original post then edited it,
haha no worries, i get the names mixed up between mere sands and martin mere.......anyway its the smaller of the two

Just to be different, I prefer the landscape composition, that is the first image. I think the whole image (the first one) has a "wistful" look which works as "a picture" rather than as "a portrait of a kingfisher". The image looks a bit grainy on my monitor but that could be because of resizing/cropping for t'interweb display.

Pennington flash? Not far from me. I have it on my list of places to go.

Just to be different, I prefer the landscape composition, that is the first image. I think the whole image (the first one) has a "wistful" look which works as "a picture" rather than as "a portrait of a kingfisher". The image looks a bit grainy on my monitor but that could be because of resizing/cropping for t'interweb display.

I like the original aswell, i think it works nicely having the Kingfisher as part of the shot but not THE shot. It is a little grainy but this is from the resizing for t'internet

Pennington flash? Not far from me. I have it on my list of places to go.

I think meet up could be in order? :)

Back