Kingfisher help

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys

A local river to me I've managed to locate a kingfisher. I've been observing for the last two days without managing to take a single shot.

I'm after a bit of advice from seasons pros I guess. His patern is some what sporadic with his appearances popping up every now and then, and then he simply flys through.

Is there a best time to observe? Any key points to learn about the kingfisher?

Also how tolerant are they to human presence.

Any guidance would be great. I'm aware of the law on nesting pairs but it's only the one I've spotted.

Scott

Den would be the man to ask.
If it's flying through regularly you could put up a perch and see if it will land on it. If it does then just sit and wait either in a portable hide or covered in camo netting or similar. I've never done anything like this myself so others might have better advice but that's probably what I'd do

Thanks sir.

There are loads of perches already there so adding one i don't think would change much but thanks for the input

The hide is fine, though it's a bit in the open, but I don't see many perches ... needs a good perch in the water to coax it to stop and be photographed.

don't you need a licence/permission to go near kingfishers as there protected? I have only seen 1 once when I was 15 for a few seconds, great little birds!! good luck with the picture of it!!

don't you need a licence/permission to go near kingfishers as there protected? I have only seen 1 once when I was 15 for a few seconds, great little birds!! good luck with the picture of it!!

No, unless there is a risk of disturbing the nest.

oh right sorry, couldn't remember the way it was worded what I had read!!

The hide is fine, though it's a bit in the open, but I don't see many perches ... needs a good perch in the water to coax it to stop and be photographed.

There is gramps if you look at the image on my camera you can see it, I know they stop the as there are fresh dropping on the branch and I've seen some taken from the exact location.

Hah, just clocked - good to meet you yesterday matey :) (I was
with the misses)

Saw it 3 more times but didn't stop and flew down stream all times.

Been looking at that stretch for the last 5/6 years seeing fleeting glimpses of KF and there's supposedly now a nest there (what GL said + photo). I'd have thought it would have been more active tho if it was nesting

cheers
Drew

Might stick some perches in on the field side near the pebble bank, but didn't see many fish on the shallow part

Haha didn't realise it was you mate.

I've been back yday and only the one sighting. On the corner a chap managed to get a photo of them purched up on the overhangs on Saturday morning.

A good perch (thick enough to stun a fish ) between 3/6 feet at least sticking out at 45% out in the river will usualy get a active kingfisher curious and land ,now is time the female could be on her second clutch of eggs and possibly due to hatch in next 7-10 days keep a good look out for the male hanging around ,Kingfishers will stick to the same fishing territory,once the juvenilles have been warned away and moved on, the longest part of getting kingfisher shots is 3/4 months of observation and the rest is how long you sit in your hide and how many shots you want.

Back