Kingfishers in the snow

Edit My Images
No
Photos of Kingfishers in the snow are few and far between. Here's a couple of mine - I hope you like them :)

46_-_Kingfisher_in_snow_IMG_1101-2_filtered_680_x_458_1.jpg

34_-_Kingfishers_pair_in_the_snow_IMG_1134_3_filtered_1260_x_900_630_x_450_.jpg

Jeff
www.jeffharrisonphotography.co.uk
(Schedule 1 Licence holder for Kingfishers and Barn Owls)

Absolutely brilliant pictures, as been said before, never seen two together and never in the snow........:clap:

Jeff those are very nice, and different ... one bird that has eluded my lens, but something I intend to address, nice stuff on the website as well (y)

Great shots again mate, these are def on my wish list this year (y)

1) is very nice Jeff, I'd be tempted to lose the random twig at the top of the photo though!

2) Very nice again...if only you could make the backgrounds disappear into smooth bokeh!

All your shots are great for showing the behaviour, and capturing the moment...I'd love to see some that are purely for artistic purpose too :) I think 1) is headed in that direction though! Well done!

Excellent set Jeff - In both cases the KF are superb but my pref. is for no 1 as I do like the bg and the snow flakes.

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging comments – all very much appreciated :)

In answer to some of the specific points/questions raised -

……I could see the second one on a xmas card for a nature reserve ……

Funny you should say that jc but I’ve had ‘expressions of interest’ in the use of both shots for Christmas cards from 3 different publishers, including a major bird protection charity ;). Negotiations have yet to be concluded!

….. First time I’ve seen two kingfishers together….
and
…. never seen two together and never in the snow........

Glad you like them guys - I’ve got many more shots featuring two (or more!) birds and will post some over the next few days/weeks

…. What lens…..

Both of these were taken with my Canon 100-400 L IS f/4.5-5.6 zoom

I vote for Jeff being banned from these here forums! You are making me green with envy!! ……

No, no please – I’ve only been here 5 minutes :nono::D

1) is very nice Jeff, I'd be tempted to lose the random twig at the top of the photo though!

2) Very nice again...if only you could make the backgrounds disappear into smooth bokeh!

All your shots are great for showing the behaviour, and capturing the moment...I'd love to see some that are purely for artistic purpose too :) I think 1) is headed in that direction though! Well done!

There’s just no pleasing some people ;):D

On a more serious note –

1) You mean like this Phil –

Kingfisher_in_snow_IMG_1101-2_filtered_card_version_600_x_400_.jpg

I have several versions of this shot and it’s been one of my best sellers but I tend to use the more cropped version only for cards as when it comes to print sales the buying public seem to be interested in only the main subject of the image and simply aren’t bothered about random twigs, noise, bokeh, etc. In my experience these are things that only other photographers and photo editors pick out and as photographers don’t tend to buy the work of other photographers (apart from some of the work of the big names perhaps) I’m afraid I don’t get too hung up on such matters.

2) As above, but I should add that so far as I have been able to establish this is a fairly unique photo, apparently being the only one anywhere on the web (including the big stock image libraries) showing two Kingfishers in the snow. That being so, I’m happy to take what I can get.

“All your shots are great for showing the behaviour, and capturing the moment” - Thank you very much indeed for this comment :) as that is exactly what I’m trying to achieve, my main photographic interest being capturing examples of behaviour/activity (for a book about Kingfishers that I’m working on) rather than perfectly (com)posed perched shots.

As for photos “purely for artistic purposes” – if I understand your meaning correctly, I’m afraid I’m just not interested in that aspect of photography but I’ll see what I can dig out of my portfolio and post something especially for you to see what you think ;)

I guess it’s a question of emphasis really and, if I’m honest, I’m much more interested in the subjects I shoot than in the photography itself. In other words, I’m really a naturalist/conservationist with a secondary interest in photography rather than a photographer with an interest in nature/wildlife – if that makes sense?

Thanks again for all the comments and interest in my work.

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this party, but I agree with all, two brilliant shots. I like the edit of the first shot, but the second is great as it is.

Can anyone tell me if there are restrictions on photographing ingfishers. I have found a nest site near where i stay and wanted to get them coming in and out the nest, also on a favourite perch just outside the nest.

Yes there is. If you are photograhpinh near nests you will need a Schedule 1 Licence for Kingfishers, which won't be easy to obtain. Although I'm sure Jeff can tell you more about it since he has one. :)

Thanks, i have found a wealth of info on it so will start trawling through it all.The bird nests in a high river bank which would be difficult to get to but it uses a perch about 30 feet away which is easier to get to.

I will read through the info i have and may end up just leaving it well alone just now as they have been using the nest for about 2 weeks so far.

Great shots, something I`ve never seen.. a KF in the snow, they are wonderful little birds very well photographed. Your websites full of the sort of images that makes me wish I didn`t have to work so I could get out more.

Number 1 is brilliant, the snow is the important factor that makes it different to the normal kingfisher shots, I look forward to more!

There’s just no pleasing some people ;):D

On a more serious note –

1) You mean like this Phil –

I have several versions of this shot and it’s been one of my best sellers but I tend to use the more cropped version only for cards as when it comes to print sales the buying public seem to be interested in only the main subject of the image and simply aren’t bothered about random twigs, noise, bokeh, etc. In my experience these are things that only other photographers and photo editors pick out and as photographers don’t tend to buy the work of other photographers (apart from some of the work of the big names perhaps) I’m afraid I don’t get too hung up on such matters.

2) As above, but I should add that so far as I have been able to establish this is a fairly unique photo, apparently being the only one anywhere on the web (including the big stock image libraries) showing two Kingfishers in the snow. That being so, I’m happy to take what I can get.

“All your shots are great for showing the behaviour, and capturing the moment” - Thank you very much indeed for this comment :) as that is exactly what I’m trying to achieve, my main photographic interest being capturing examples of behaviour/activity (for a book about Kingfishers that I’m working on) rather than perfectly (com)posed perched shots.

As for photos “purely for artistic purposes” – if I understand your meaning correctly, I’m afraid I’m just not interested in that aspect of photography but I’ll see what I can dig out of my portfolio and post something especially for you to see what you think ;)

I guess it’s a question of emphasis really and, if I’m honest, I’m much more interested in the subjects I shoot than in the photography itself. In other words, I’m really a naturalist/conservationist with a secondary interest in photography rather than a photographer with an interest in nature/wildlife – if that makes sense?

Thanks again for all the comments and interest in my work.

Jeff

Thanks for the write up Jeff!

I have no problem with your photography, I love it!

It makes pefect sense what you said, I love watching, studying and learning about all forms of wildlife myself, but when it comes to pictures...I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sucker for the artistic approach, as I have come to doing this from that side. Still, I'd be proud of capturing some of the same shots you have...artistic or not! :notworthy:

I'm looking forward to seeing much more of your work throughout the Summer! :) Just out of interest...I see your location is Cambridge...has much of your work come out of Fowlmere?

Ps. Yes that cropped version is much more appealing to myself, on a personal level :D

Last edited:
2 really beautiful shots my fav is the second one never seen a shot of 2 Kingfishers let alone in the snow

Brilliant images.

Are you the same Jeff that visits WAB?

Back