Kingfishers?

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it me and my monitor or are a lot of kingfishers shots on here rather too blue and too orange? Dare I say, are they oversaturated.............:thinking:

*Dons tin hat and gets in the trenches*

Genuine question folks.

LOL. Can of worms opened, but yes I think so in some cases. I saw some very recently looking rather purple despite being otherwise excellent shots.I know it's a cop-out but I tend not to comment on issues like that these days, it's a bit like peeing into the wind. :D

Phewww.

Thought it was just me Cedric, I don`t say so in the specific threads, probably copping out like yourself..........:LOL:

There are probably a few that are Ade but no more than there has been in the past imo. It certainly seems the Kf comes under attack more than any other species as to how the colours should look, but then taking into consideration the combinations of camera`s and lens used, different colour chip processor`s, editing software, monitors, peoples eyesight it`s no wonder :shrug: You could always reply to the thread in question and state your case ;)

LOL. Can of worms opened, but yes I think so in some cases. I saw some very recently looking rather purple despite being otherwise excellent shots.I know it's a cop-out but I tend not to comment on issues like that these days, it's a bit like peeing into the wind. :D

Depends which way the wind is blowing Ced`s :LOL:

Phewww.

Thought it was just me Cedric, I don`t say so in the specific threads, probably copping out like yourself..........:LOL:

Lightweight!! :D

LOL. It's actually a valid point raised and it's a shame we have to be wary of raising these issues on a photographic board, but the fact is that for every person who's at least prepared to listen to a different pojnt of view, there'll be half a dozen who aren't - and a chorus of " I preferred the original" posts often from people who are are rank newbies with limited photographic knowledge, unaware that there are actually some pretty basic rules about colour and wb which need to be grasped, or just can't be bothered to address themselves to the issues.

It isn't just Kingfishers either although they're a spectacular bird and I can sort of understand the temptation to guild the lily a bit. To be fair though, overall there's a been a huge improvement in the overall quality of images being posted in the bird forum here since it initially started.

To be fair though, overall there's a been a huge improvement in the overall quality of images being posted in the bird forum here since it initially started.

And that is thanks to the invaluable constructive advice that people like yourself give. When I look back at my first posting on the bird forum it is shocking but you took the time to give constructive crit (and harsh when needed) that has made a real difference to how I shoot birds (y)

Strange that I should come across this question now. The reason I say that, is that I've just got my first Kingfisher shots after spending many hours sitting by a perch waiting. The first think that struck me when the bird eventually landed on the perch, was how dark and vivid its colour was. This is of course, with the naked eye, so no white balance/ monitor issues.

I actually commented to my friend on how dark the blue was and his reply was to say that there isn't any colour pigment in feathers, its all down to light. (it was a bright sunny day) The pic's on my Flikr are straight from the camera..no PP.

I noticed also, that when my pal got his pictures the following day (cloudy) the colour was more of a greeny rather than vivid blue.

I think this bird is a juvenile, so i don't know if that has any bearing.

Strange that I should come across this question now. The reason I say that, is that I've just got my first Kingfisher shots after spending many hours sitting by a perch waiting. The first think that struck me when the bird eventually landed on the perch, was how dark and vivid its colour was. This is of course, with the naked eye, so no white balance/ monitor issues.

I actually commented to my friend on how dark the blue was and his reply was to say that there isn't any colour pigment in feathers, its all down to light. (it was a bright sunny day) The pic's on my Flikr are straight from the camera..no PP.

I noticed also, that when my pal got his pictures the following day (cloudy) the colour was more of a greeny rather than vivid blue.

I think this bird is a juvenile, so i don't know if that has any bearing.

To be fair - strong sunlight or shade can make a big difference to the apparent colour of the bird. The RSPB site describes the KF as a blue and orange bird which it in fact is. The orange colour is far more muted in juveniles being more of an orange/brown.

If I see a greenish looking KF then I suspect a wb issue and just correcting the wb to daylight temperature usually produces a blue bird.

Must admit I've increased saturation on the few KF shots I've got ;)

It's a shame people don't feel able to give CC on the images, but I understand why. I very rarely bother posting in there, as all you get it "great shot", "nice set" or "lovely image" type comments - doesn't seem to matter whether it is actually any good! Pointless unless you're just posting for an ego massage, which I dare say some might be.

I've often felt like speaking my mind on some of them, but then those who dare to usually get shot down by the "lovely set" brigade...

Can`t argue with any of that Chris...........Alas.

Fracster............."Copping Out"??..............Must be a first!! :LOL:

:exit:

Yup, that is me.....:)

What a shame, to read a thread like this:crying: . As I think most of the posters are some of the best Bird life, and wild life photographers, that this board has got.

And most have been a great help to myself.(y)

Oh well- in for a penny...

Kingfisher in the shade....

Img_9836 1 by tonky8203, on Flickr

Kingfisher in full sunshine....

IMG_0447 1 by tonky8203, on Flickr

I don't get much more variance in the blue than this and the orange on the second shot is about as vivid as I've seen it. I've yet to see a green Kingfisher.

Discuss. :D

I'm not trying to be narky or anything fracster, but is your monitor calibrated properly?
I've just looked back at some of your bird posts and quite a good percentage of your photos genuinely seem washed out to me compared to the colour i see on birds with my own eyes in the wild.
By the way i'm seeing this from the perspective of being an almost obsessive compulsive at getting colours right myself.

Again, not trying to cause offense, genuine question etc etc :)

Is it me and my monitor or are a lot of kingfishers shots on here rather too blue and too orange? Dare I say, are they oversaturated.............:thinking:

*Dons tin hat and gets in the trenches*

Genuine question folks.

Must admit I've increased saturation on the few KF shots I've got ;)

It's a shame people don't feel able to give CC on the images, but I understand why. I very rarely bother posting in there, as all you get it "great shot", "nice set" or "lovely image" type comments - doesn't seem to matter whether it is actually any good! Pointless unless you're just posting for an ego massage, which I dare say some might be.

I've often felt like speaking my mind on some of them, but then those who dare to usually get shot down by the "lovely set" brigade...

Right just for you.

Great shots / Nice set / loverly images / Top notch / (y)(y)

Right thats the silly stuff out of the way.

I have had a look at some of the king fisher shots on the forum. And I can see what Ct and fracster mean. There is queit a diference between some of them and the ones posted here. But whitch ones are correct in thier coloring, thats way past me. As the only king fisher I have ever seen, was from a long way off.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be narky or anything fracster, but is your monitor calibrated properly?
I've just looked back at some of your bird posts and quite a good percentage of your photos genuinely seem washed out to me compared to the colour i see on birds with my own eyes in the wild.
By the way i'm seeing this from the perspective of being an almost obsessive compulsive at getting colours right myself.

Again, not trying to cause offense, genuine question etc etc :)

Of course I view on a properly monitored screen, the latest discussion on a kingfisher thread kinda makes the point I'm trying to make. I see these particular birds within four feet from my hides and I have yet to see the blue and orange as vivid as a lot of shots on here show.

Are you viewing on a calibrated screen?......:D

I guess it is all subjective. I hate over saturated and over sharpened bird photos, others may be different, that us what makes the subject so captivating.

Cheers

Yep calibrated here too.

I agree there are a lot of overly saturated wildlife photos (and photos in general). I quite often re-process my photos several times trying to get them to look exactly as i remembered them in person.
I must also admit the majority of kingfisher shots do measure up to how my eyes see them in the wild though. That is the stunning electric spark blue and fire coloured birds zipping up and down the river.

Is it possible your hides have them situated in a way that doesn't get that dazzling luminescent element of their colour to reflect at you?

Of course I view on a properly monitored screen, the latest discussion on a kingfisher thread kinda makes the point I'm trying to make. I see these particular birds within four feet from my hides and I have yet to see the blue and orange as vivid as a lot of shots on here show.

Are you viewing on a calibrated screen?......:D

I guess it is all subjective. I hate over saturated and over sharpened bird photos, others may be different, that us what makes the subject so captivating.

Cheers

It could be the case, yes. One of the hides is a late afternoon hide whilst the new one gets light all day. I have only seen the birds in the gloom and rain at the new hide so far this year. Whilst the older hide upstream does represent a problem for me, that being that uess the sun is shining, the light is crap, if I expose to not blow the whites, then the birds are dark, give mire exposure and the collar blows out. I don't like using flash so will persevere and hope for some better light.

It has pee'd down and been grim for about five solid weeks now..........:bang:

One of the things i've always found amazing about kingfishers is that almost mirror-like reflective colour effect to their feathers in certain lights.
I find it blows a single colour channel in the camera sometimes which causes problems with getting the colour accurate afterwards.

Just been through all my shots from this year,they are all either in shade, grey light or the pee`ing down rain...............:LOL:.........Not a one with any sunshine on it.............:LOL:

This is about the only one with anything remotely looking like sunlight on it. I still think that the use of flash boosts the colours to an unnatural level,or is it the fact that all mine have a dark background to them,dunno really, but I could be wrong,won`t be the first time......:)

Test3.jpg

Converted from Raw, resized and a small sharpen.Nothing else done to it.

And one in the slashing down rain. Again, no PP other than the same as above.

Test4.jpg

Last edited:
just like to add I have seen them looking a more emerald green during one evening when we had the most beautiful evening light and the colours were certainly different then, I think it is all about what light they are taken in.

just like to add I have seen them looking a more emerald green during one evening when we had the most beautiful evening light and the colours were certainly different then, I think it is all about what light they are taken in.

Pic? :D

Back