Kingston or Sandisk

Syx

Name
Sam Hissaund
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend and I have been having a discussion all evening about compact flash memory cards.
He swears by the Kingston cards, but I've only ever used SD cards before and always Sandisk. What is the reason for the Sandisk Extreme III's being so expensive over the Kingston Elite Pro's? They are both 133x... what am I missing here?

Any advice from users of these cards would be very much appreciated!!

I don't think you are missing anything. I've got loads of CF and SD cards from very cheap ones to a few very expensive ones and I can't see any difference in them when I am using them.

I think one advantage might be if you were blasting off loads of rapid shots at high speed, the faster cards might clear your buffer quicker but I've never needed that.

If I were you, I'd save your dosh and go for the cheaper ones.

One thing about CF cards, check that the holes aren't damaged because I damaged a card reader in a 350D with a faulty card once. £150 repair bill. Not recommended.

Well they are both rated as 133x so speed will surely be the same... which is why I was confused! :thinking:

I have a Sandisk Extreme III, a Kingston Elite Pro & a cheap & cheerful Play.com own brand special - can I tell the difference between them? Nope!

we have Kingstons, transends and a bloody good 16gb china jobbie and we cant tell the difference either and they are all 133 except the 16gb but its read write is as good and only cost £7.99 off ebay 2 yr ago

I have been using a standard Kingston for a long time and I feel that I can get more than the stated shot bursts out of my camera (350D).

Although you might want to get a pro or an elite if you have a higher pixel count, but even then they are still massivly chepaer than the Elite III

I use Kingston (from picstop or 7dayshop) in a variety of sizes and speeds in my 30d and have had no problems with them. If it means anything, Kingston are supposed to be one of the top manufacturers of memory so their cards should be good. And the Kingston come with a lifetime warranty (although I have never used it) and quite frankly, if a card ceases to be I think I would just chuck it and replace it with a current card (which is likely to be higher spec).

Kingston Elite Pro 4gb from 7dayshop is under a tenner, they win every time for me!!

I used Sandisk and think there great, used other makes in the past as well as a kingston and lexar and not found any to be a problem speed wise tbh, goes down to persoanl preference

kingston and sandisk could go to an arguement like nikon vs canon, its all down to personal preference IMO

I only use sandisk due to the fact that i know and trust them. I have known (first hand) of lexar and kingston cards dying with the company i work for, but not tried any myself to really judge. I just stick to what i know.

Why dont Canon or Nikon make there own cards?

pretty sure if canon and nikon made their own they would be more expensive than sandisk.

Thanks all, I'll give the Kingston cards a go as there's a significant saving to be had over the SD ExIII's! (y)

I'm going to give a Kingston Elite Pro 8Gb card a go when I get paid next week. It's less than half the price of an 8Gb Sandisk Extreme III for the same speed, and I haven't heard many horror stories about them.

Problem with Sandisk is that there are a lot of copies floating around. I bought a copy from a trusted amazon seller once...

I've had good service from Lexar 133x cards

I always buy Sandisk from Play.com

I'm running Lexar UDMA cards in my 50D (300x), but they have a price to match. I dunno if it is worth double the price to get a ~20 shot burst in RAW at 6+fps. I believe you can get a 12-14 shot burst on non-UDMA cards, so Sandisk Extreme 3's will be my next purchase.

If you didn't catch what you wanted in the first 12 shots, I would sggest you are not going to do much better with the next 8...

Back