KITES If at first you don't succeed - keep trying!!!

Name
Nicki.
Edit My Images
Yes
Went back out in the freezing cold again with Rob C from here (nice to meet you Rob) and got these shots, still not perfect in any way but I think better what do you all think C & C welcome.

Got the worm!

071.jpg

069.jpg

This one is a bit "noisy"

053.jpg

Complete with dinner in his claws!!

014-2.jpg

007.jpg

Nice shots, I like 1 and 5 best!
What lens are you using and how far away are the birds?

The first two are a good result Briony (y) You got me itching to go back to where I spotted a couple up high last week now :LOL:
Hope you get some more chances soon and look forward to seeing them.

Nice shots, I like 1 and 5 best!
What lens are you using and how far away are the birds?

I was using my Sigma 120 - 400 and the birds varied in distance some were 20 - 30 ft away (I am terrible at guessing distance, [perhaps Rob C will put us right on this one:shrug:) some were even too close for my lens :thinking:
There was only about 50 toady not so many as yesterday, sad thing is he has now finished ploughing for this year : -( so will have to wait till after harvest till he ploughs again, perhaps arrange a meet if anyone interested !

Last edited:
Now they're smashing!

According to my exif data they were a good 40-50m away. So sadly I'm not expecting anything too jaw dropping from my lil 200mm. I was amazing to see so many so close.

Lovely to meet you today and the cake was delish ;) Hope to see you again soon, I had a great time. Will pop a few up later after my tea (boiled eggs :D)

Thank you Rob, nice meeting you and you now know you can come over anytime as you know how close to the house they get, especailly that dam buzzard that just sat there :LOL::LOL:

Look forward to seeing them especially the one I saw.:clap:

Shame the sun wasn't out for you yesterday like it was the day before but I think you've done a pretty good job in the conditions!

They're generally a little under exposed but you have to trade off something - Reduce shutter speed? No, you need it quick with that long lens and a moving subject. Lower F number? No, you were wide open (on the first 3 at least). Increase ISO? Maybe, 800 is about as high as you would want to go though.

I think you've done pretty well with these and your technique is obviously improving. Well done! Practice practice practice! :)

I'm a bit upset to be too far away to try some of that cake though.... :crying:

Back