Kodak 66 MkIII circa 1960 (ish) HELP:)

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you may remember this camera that I had from my grandad I think, I've never used it.

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

I would like to 'fire' it up over xmas, anybody got ideas as to what would be the best 120 film to put through it, I fancy perhaps BW? Also do high street shops still develop 120 roll?

I was thinking of taking along the 350/30d to use to meter/set apperature/shutter?

Any help would be great

Nobody highstreet will process 120 film, you'll need to find a lab.
Get some 400 speed Ilford HP5 or something, you can set the 350 to iso 400 and meter fairly accurately.
looks like focussing is by using the distance scale on the lens too

Glen

That looks like some fun kit :) Best of luck!

I've been meaning to give this a try for over a year now, so I thought I'd best get round to putting it through its paces.

Real photography. You've got to set the focus select the correct aperture and shutter speed. This brings back memories. No I didn't have to coat my own plates.

One thing though. The bellows are leather and if they've been kept closed for some time you may have the odd pinhole in them. You can try looking for them but unless they are fairly large you wont see them.

The only way would be to use a test roll and see if leaving the camera in daylight for a while gives any indication of pinholes. Hopefully not.

Good luck! Brilliant fun! (y)

But I definately second the leather comment above, it would be a right shame if you took ages over a roll of 120 and none of it came out... And it gives you an excuse to use the camera some more!

Be sure to post some of your results...

Go to Calumet. Get som Kodak BW400CN in 120 format.
This is am amazing black and white film that is processed through standard colour C41 chemistry. Being 120 you will need a pro lab though.
The film is wonderfully sharp, fast and has a superb tolerance of -2 - +3 stops exposure.

Alternatively Kodak Portra 400 VC for colour. This can easily be printed in BW by the lab also.

The camera is not the most expensive going so watch for colour fringing on bright edges (not seen in BW mind)

As for exposure, given that the film has great latitude you can afford to be a little inaccurate but as a rule of thumb use the ISO speed as a shutter speed, in this case 400, put a 1 over it ,1/400th sec, nearst on camera 1/500th.
Then all you do is set aperture. Very Bright f16, bright f11, cloudy bright f8, cloudy f5.6, dull,f4.

If you change you shutter speed up or down be sure to adjust aperture also.
So 1/500 a f11 is the same amount of exposure as 1/125 at f 22.

Also you can use your normal camera in manual set to ISO 400 to assertain the exposre for a particular scene.

If you cut a hole in a large piece of card enough for the lens to poke through, you bcan set the camera to B (bulb after the old air bulb releases) and hold the shutter open whilst looking through a window this should show any light leaks!

Brilliant! thanks very much for the replies and thanks MJWMAN, I will try this hopefully tomorrow for teh light leaks and will pick some film up on Monday if calumet is open.

Nice camera. I hope you manage to get some good results with it.

I have a Kodak six-20 junior model D which I've had for twenty years or so and would like to do the same sort of thing. While I've got time this week I'll post a seperate thread for it.

good luck(y)

Back