Kodak Brownie 127 loaded with 35mm colour film

Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi as some of you may know or not as the case may be I recently picked up a Kodak Brownie 127 (1963) at a bootsale. I did a little research and found that I could load it with 35mm film, so just to check it worked before I used expensive 127 film, thats exactly what I did!

Once finished I removed the film cartridge myself in a black film changing bag and got Boots to develop the film, explaining to the assistant why the photographs may be a bit haphazard. The photographs were all over the place due to them being cut for 35mm photographs not 127s but the negatives were ok which I scanned myself.

It was not the best light for 200 ISO film but it served its purpose.

Nothing special but proves it works after 51 years!!View attachment 20818 View attachment 20819 View attachment 20820 View attachment 20821

View attachment 20817

Last edited:
Great to see it still works. Did you have any problem with frame registration and how did you know how far to wind on? And did you use a backing paper or simply blank out the red window?

Hi Nick thanks. I had a great difficulty in deciding how many times to turn the spool, I went for 2 1/2 turns then decided 3 might be better what I should have done is turned it 3 times or a smidgen over for the first few photographs then possibly went to 2 1/2 as there was quite a space between each photograph towards the end of the film. I got a couple of double exposures or overlapping but that was in the first few frames, now that I have done it once I think it might be slightly easier the next time. A 35mm 24 exposure film gave me roughly 8 photographs, if I got my spacing right I might have got 10. I blanked out the the red window at the back as this was my easiest option. I have, as said above ordered some 127 film and will be very interested to see how it works and what the picture quality will be like. I am planning on developing my own film just waiting for the equipment to arrive.

I cleaned both the inside and the outside of the camera (not much to clean! :)) but I think I need to clean the inner part of the lens as it looks dirty. In saying that not too many marks on the actual photographs but I wonder if that would perhaps help with the clarity or is this just the nature of the camera?

Well done Carol, is looking very promising! Am made up it works & looking forward to seeing the results you get with the 127 film.

I was digging through some of my old photo stuff & have found a few rather old film cameras so am still very tempted to give it a try.

Nicely done :clap:

Thanks Carol, good to know how you made it all work. Remember when you get your proper 127 film not to throw away the backing paper as you should be able to re-use it for future 35mm experiments.

Back