Komura

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
KOMURA
Looking for feedback regarding this brand of lens.

I'm considering a 300mm F/6.3 for Large Format ( 5x4 film) photography but info is quite sparce on the internet.

Budget wise it would fit the bill perfectly but as we all know, cheaper isn't always "decent".

Anyone had first hand experience?

Last edited:
The Komura lens company made a great variety of lenses in most mounts and I believe even made for Bronica Zenzanon and then made under the Sankyo Koki Komura

and combination of those names.

They seem to have been highly regarded in MF through to LF as well.

Hi Asha,

You have got me crawling under my study desk and I have found my Komura 200mm f4.5 preset M42 lens, so you can see it is an old one,maybe from the late 60,s.

Would you like me to put on my D700 and take some shots at f4.5 through to f22 for you to get an idea of overall manufacturing IQ.

If so let me know and I will do that when I get some light.

Would you like me to put on my D700 and take some shots at f4.5 through to f22 for you to get an idea of overall manufacturing IQ.

Yes please, that could prove quite helpful

HI asha,

The focus in manual was a bit of a problem for me with the 200mm shooting at 2.5 meters,still here is my best effort.

The photo,s are in aperture order of f4.5,f5.6,f8,f11,f16 and f22. f8 is real bad,but,that is me. I have cropped so you can have a good close look.

DSC_9261CS5 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

DSC_9263CS5f4.5 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

DSC_9264CS5f5.6 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

DSC_9265CS5f8 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

DSC_9266CS5f11 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

DSC_9267CS5f16 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

DSC_9268CS5f22 by Richard Morcombe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

Thanks for taking time to do those pics.

There appears to be a general softness to them all tbh.

I won't dismiss the brand immediatley based on those results, however they do raise concerns which I'll have to consider before making a Komura lens purchase or not.

Yeah they're better and more convincing that I wouldn't be buying a lemon! lol

I'm very tempted to take a punt but still not 100% sure

Back