light seal kits ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I would like to replace the camera body light seals as they are in poor condition

I have recently purchased a Konica FS-1 body and lens and this is what I will need the kit for

I have had a quick look on the net and have not found one yet

Any Ideas PLEASE :help:

Yep

JGood21967@aol.com

Jon Goodman. He seems to have kits for anything. Used him many times. He's in the States but ships really quickly.

Cheers , Just set a email , see what happens

Yep

JGood21967@aol.com

Jon Goodman. He seems to have kits for anything. Used him many times. He's in the States but ships really quickly.

:plus1: A little while since I've had the need to get some but Jon always proved reliable and quick to post.

...which reminds me...does anyone know where to buy 100% alcohol? My local camera shop told me to go to the chemist, but nobody stocks anything. Is there something else I could use?

Last edited:
Try using lighter fuel -- seems to work well but usual warnings.

The guy the camera shop specifically warned me NOT to use lighter fluid, but I can't remember why. Other than I may end up burning my face off.

I was going to use acetone ?

I was told to use 100% alcohol as it wouldn't leave a residue behind which could end up on the film etc. I don't know much about these things, which is why I headed blindly on the quest to find the 100% alcohol. Any chemists around here???

...which reminds me...does anyone know where to buy 100% alcohol? My local camera shop told me to go to the chemist, but nobody stocks anything. Is there something else I could use?
I don't think a chemist will stock it, unless you buy a gallon

Another plug for Jon Goodman, I have been in contact with him in the last 24hrs about some kits and he responded very quickly. I have used him in the past and he has been a real gent, providing top quality, very reasonably priced seals.

:plus1: for Jon Goodman, he's supplied the seals for all the cameras I've refurbed, you can't go wrong with his kits and he's a proper helpful bloke.

Reactions: Jao
Just had this email

"
Thanks for the message. I send kits to England nearly every day, however I only have kits for 2 of the Konica SLR cameras...the T3 and T4. Sorry, but I don't have any data for the FS-1. Do you know if either of the T3 or T4 bodies are the same?
Best regards,
Jon Goodman "

I dont know if they are the same ?

+1 for the use of lighter fluid to clean out the seal residue.

You can get 99.9% isopropyl alcohol on eBay or Amazon for about £6 a litre (100% doesn't exist technically). Do not use acetone or lighter fluid as they are significantly stronger solvents and may damage the paint or internal plastic components. I will find a link when I'm on my pc for you.

I can also recommend Jon Goodman's kits. The ones that I bought came with instructions that suggest alcohol or lighter fluid as a solvent. I have always used lighter fluid without any problems and it works well. Acetone will start to dissolve most plastics almost immediately. This is not surprising, as one of its main uses is as nail varnish remover. Whatever you do, don't use acetone!

You can get 99.9% isopropyl alcohol on eBay or Amazon for about £6 a litre (100% doesn't exist technically). Do not use acetone or lighter fluid as they are significantly stronger solvents and may damage the paint or internal plastic components. I will find a link when I'm on my pc for you.

Thanks Rob, that's good to know. I'll have a search for some.

Isopropyl alcohol is what I've used in the past, cotton buds and kebab sticks (or similar) are also useful.

Isopropyl alcohol is what I've used in the past, cotton buds and kebab sticks (or similar) are also useful.

..and while you are getting your Poundland film you can get a large box of Johnson's cotton buds, and also in the same area.... in between the teeth cleaners (not tooth picks) bargain at 5 for £1

Methylated spirit is cheaper than 99.9% alcohol and has worked for me in the past.

Another recommendation for Jon Goodman. I contacted him on 9th June regarding light seals for an OM-1, they arrived today from the USA. Good service.

I have been replacing light seals on many cameras with black foam with sticky back from ' Hobby Crafts ' shop in Romford, Essex 80 pence a sheet -- it is 'Closed Cell Foam' as I could not find any 'Open Cell Foam' BUT it works well for the very narrow strips along the back and door hinge area and I have also used it for 'mirror bumpers' -- I did my Boy's KONICA Autoreflex TC back seals -- you have to moisten the sticky are with a lick and push it down into the slot with a toothpick, having cleaned out all the old rotten foam with Lighter Fuel bought fro a Poundland Shop. There are many You-Tube Videos on the subject.

I recently replaced the light seals on my Olympus OM2n with a kit i bought from eBay (about $10). Its a pretty easy process just a bit fiddly getting the precut foam strips in the small grooves. I made a tutorial video for anyone interested

Back