Review LaCie Rugged RAID Pro with SD slot ....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
If you don't already know, LaCie are a brand of Seagate who design and manufacture hard drives and who have a long established excellent reputation.

As a photographer who occasionally travels I have always liked the LaCie Rugged range for the fact that they are easily portable and tough. When not travelling they are equally at home connected to a desktop computer. I only use Macs and so this practical review can only reflect that use.

I recently added the LaCie 4TB Rugged RAID Pro because it has a SD card slot to save me literally hours spent downloading my camera cards in a hotel room after a day of shooting. I have been known to shoot as many as 3,000 RAW images on a dawn-til-dusk day, but usually anything from 300-1,200. When away from home this external HD needs a laptop to see the images and select options accordingly.

In the past with other external drives when away from home it would take many hours to copy SD card contents firstly onto my laptop and then copy them again onto the external drive and finally to delete the copies on my laptop. Having said that, I now realise that I would probably have been able to use a card reader connected to my laptop and copy directly to the external LaCie via Image Capture as I do on my desktop machine, but I prefer the convenience of the LaCie having its own SD slot and consequently less faffing about. Also, I needed another 4TB drive anyway.

So LaCie include their software app called 'Toolkit' to manage a choice of RAID divisions and a default option to automatically load the SD card's contents. It is clear and easy to understand but I do not recommend using Toolkit's Automatic option because by default it buries your image files in a deep hierarchy of folders which subsequently makes accessing them very tedious indeed. Four levels of folder hierarchy is far too much and it matters when you use an app such as FastRawViewer (also available for Windows) to cull and colour code or star rate your photos for post-processing on your desktop machine after I get home. So I have deselected Automatic and instead use my MacBook Pro's Image Capture app to import images into the folders I create and name on the LaCie.

This professional photographer has made a good objective YouTube review in my opinion. It's better and quicker than I can write! - It starts after the unboxing etc at about 2:20s in :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpe1Y_xZx3k

And I bought mine from my trusted HDEW supplier :

I think this LaCie Rugged Pro 4TB drive is very good value but the Rugged range offer quite a few different options - As always, it's Horses for Courses.

Last edited:
Excellent thanks for the heads up :)
I use something similar a my passport SSD drive with an sd card slot
It’s very handy for backup when I go away

Excellent thanks for the heads up :)
I use something similar a my passport SSD drive with an sd card slot
It’s very handy for backup when I go away
.... Western Digital's Passport SSD has extremely fast read/write speeds but has only 1TB which isn't enough storage for my needs both at home and away. It is also more compact in size than the LaCie. I don't know which is the toughest physically.

I was aware of the Passport but I have always liked the LaCie products and decided to stay loyal to the brand. I now have three different LaCie Rugged versions and two different desktop LaCie external drives.

Mine is only actually 500 gb , I didn’t know about the LaCie ones at the time and the Passport drive was out of stock everywhere when I was looking just before my last trip away but I managed to find a second hand one very cheap on eBay
500 gb was just enough, I almost filled it but it was backup only as I took a load of sd cards as I didn’t want to reuse the cards worked out ok
The passport one is easy to use just put in the card and press a button and it copies onto the drive

Mine is only actually 500 gb , I didn’t know about the LaCie ones at the time and the Passport drive was out of stock everywhere when I was looking just before my last trip away but I managed to find a second hand one very cheap on eBay
500 gb was just enough, I almost filled it but it was backup only as I took a load of sd cards as I didn’t want to reuse the cards worked out ok
.... The cards I use are the mega expensive Sony TOUGH 300Mbs and so I haven't bought a load of them! If the camera gets wrecked the card will almost certainly survive. Hence my preferred solution of an external drive with SD card slot. My MacBook Pro is a 2015 version which has limited storage which isn't upgradeable (the machine was a gift so is what it is). Most Macs aren't as upgradeable as Windows machines.

sony-g-tough-series-sd-card-review-1.jpg

I occasionally shoot with 2 Olympus E-M1X each with a different lens mounted so I don't have to expose the innards while faffing around swopping lenses and also to save time and maximise my opportunities when shooting moving subjects - From Grasshoppers to Golden Eagles on the same walkabout, I am covered! Each body has 2 SD card slots and so I have 4 x 64GB TOUGH cards plus 1 x 32GB TOUGH in my Olympus TG-6 pocket camera.

Last year I was on a Steam Railway trip and one of my cameras silently slipped off my shoulder onto the soft velvet seat as I got off the train. But can you guess what I was more worried about? - Losing the card and its irreplaceable photos rather than the replaceable and insured camera and lens. Fortunately the next station was the terminus and railway staff found and handed it in and all was well.

The passport one is easy to use just put in the card and press a button and it copies onto the drive
.... Initially that simple ease of use is what I wanted but the LaCie Rugged BOSS version is only 1TB, offers many more options than I need but is twice the price of the 4TB LaCie Rugged Pro reviewed. When I travel away it is usually for several days and I have a 14 day trip to Portugal in a few weeks to photograph primarily surfers but also any wildlife I come across. The BOSS really is an all-singing-dancing device! But again, it's Horses-for-Courses depending on your individual needs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxX2I8ic3CQ

Btw, if you aren't already familiar with it, FastRawViewer is an excellent previewer of your image files for culling and marking whether on a laptop or at home on a desktop and it works on both Mac and Windows. It's not expensive either and the licence covers 2 machines.

Last edited:
Oh yes I’ve read about those Sony tough cards they are excellent apparently
I’m using Transcend sd cards, just because that’s what I’ve always used and they have always been reliable
I’m sure most makes are reliable I just go with what I know
They aren’t very expensive even for quite fast ones so I bought quite a few
Thanks for the heads up on FastRawViewer I’m actually trying it out at the moment and it is excellent, someone on FredMiranda an American site recommended it
I use it to go through shots it’s great because you can zoom in and then go through the shots still zoomed in to check sharpness

Thanks for the heads up on FastRawViewer I’m actually trying it out at the moment and it is excellent, someone on FredMiranda an American site recommended it
I use it to go through shots it’s great because you can zoom in and then go through the shots still zoomed in to check sharpness
.... It's really useful isn't it. I only use it for culling and rating/coding the images I want to import into my RAW editor but I know you can check other aspects while in FRV. It saves a lot of time and storage space as I only import onto my desktop computer those images I want to edit and keep. The remainder stay on my external (LaCie Rugged) drives.

I have FRV installed on both my desktop and laptop computers and it doesn't destroy any ratings/coding you have chosen on one computer when image files are loaded and viewed on the other computer.

This means that when away from home you can view, cull and code each day's shots on your laptop in the evening in your hotel.

Back