Lady Bugs

I wish my first close-ups had been that good! Great clarity on the subject, and lovely colours. The composition is rather central, but personally I'm ok with that in this case.

I had a close look at the larger versions at flickr - the IQ is lovely. Can't see any Exif data, but the DOF looks to be quite thin so presumably you used a fairly large aperture. I generally prefer deeper DOF, but I have to say the thinner DOF works fine for me here - that's something for me to ponder and learn from, thanks.

Second thoughts on the DOF. I noticed that the left (furthest from the camera) antenna was OOF in the second image. Looking again at the DOF placement I'm wondering if the focus point was on the bottom "ball", which was perhaps in front of the ladybird. If so, perhaps the DOF wasn't as thin as I thought.

Whatever. I do like them both.

Lady Bugs ...Lady Bugs.....Another blasted Americanism corrupting our language. :bang:

Aren't they 'Ladybirds'
D in W

i agree with dave, they are deffinately ladybirds :LOL:

very nice shots :) carnt decided which one i prefer..x

Coccinellidae is a family of beetles, known variously as ladybirds (UK, Ireland, Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, India, Malta, some parts of Canada and the US), or ladybugs (North America). Scientists increasingly prefer the names ladybird beetles or lady beetles[2] as these insects are not true bugs. Lesser-used names include God's cow, ladyclock, lady cow, and lady fly.
Source: Wikipedia

So, it's actually a lady beetle, although personally, I prefer 'God's cow' :LOL:

Coccinellidae is a family of beetles, known variously as ladybirds (UK, Ireland, Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, India, Malta, some parts of Canada and the US), or ladybugs (North America). Scientists increasingly prefer the names ladybird beetles or lady beetles[2] as these insects are not true bugs. Lesser-used names include God's cow, ladyclock, lady cow, and lady fly.
Source: Wikipedia

So, it's actually a lady beetle, although personally, I prefer 'God's cow' :LOL:

ha ha, thanks for providing a source of amusement on an otherwise boring Monday morning!

Great shots by the way, excellent focus.

Back