Lake Bled, Slovenia

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just revisited this shot and tried the centre crop I talked about in the original post. Heres how it came out. Would be interested to know what you think works better...(easier to look at on black here)

20091017125714_lake%20bled%20cropped3sharpenedtc1000.jpg

Original post:
This is the first photo i've processed from a two week camping holiday through Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia, Switzerland and Germany.

Its made up of 6 photos taken at 50mm, f8, iso 200, 8 seconds each shot (with the trusty 10 stop filter)

I am tempted to do a centre crop as the pano doesnt do the detail of the island and distant castle justice but reluctant to do so as I quite like the shape and mood of the full pano........thoughts?

Looks better on black here

20090910205337_lake%20bled%201000.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely shot - when I try panos I struggle to keep the camera on a level plane as it moves round, even though the tripod bubble level indicates the starting point is centered.

I personally would keep this as a full panaroma :)

real nice :)

on closer inspection there's some dodgy joins in the water - to the left of the spire, half way across, and also then a bit more to the right section

also would even out the brightness of the sky to water - the reflection of the sky in water is always 2 stops darker than the actual sky exposure so the brightness bias would normally be to the sky. i know levelling them both to the same is perfectly acceptable in PP and/or ND Grads, but here it looks as if the sky is darker than the water. imo a bit more PP needed but it is a cracker :)

drew

Last edited:
Fantastic shot and great reflections. Looking forward to the rest.

Lovely shot.... any join corrections would be very minor affairs. I like the water darker than the sky, this is the way you see it anyway.

In shots like this there are very few features for control points. Those that are placed on the moving water or sky increase the errors and join problems. So some correction is almost inevitable.

Thanks for the comments all...

IDKB - I spent ages trying to get the tripod as level as possible and it seemed to work a treat. Very little trim once stiched. I was measuring level at lens level rather than tripod as those few inches can sometimes make the difference

Gandhi - I tried two test shots, one with the filter and one without. The reflections and colour rendition was loads better with the filter so I went with it.

Buckas - all valid points. The dodgy join has come from a boat passing by on the three middle shots. I didnt notice it at the time and its proving a pig to fix now. Will work on balancing the exposure between sky and reflection better

Terry- read your current pano thread with interest. Thanks for commenting

Nice to see that most think the pano is the best format.

Cheers(y)

Works well for me, with the castle sitting very comfortably in the frame.

Subtle tones really make this shot work for me. I've been thinking about how far the castle is into the frame on the left hand side, but actually the backdrops and reflection balances the shot very well.
Great work as usual Ted.
Hi Neil
I know what you mean. I tried several crops with the steeple bank on the left hand third but the hills on the left felt rather unfinished so worked better using the line of the hills as the start point.

Amazing. Love the composition and everything in it works very well. Slovenia is such a small and amazing place.
Thanks. We loved Slovenia and got to see a fair bit of it in 4 days.

Beautifully balanced and delicate.
Cheers Mark

Works well for me, with the castle sitting very comfortably in the frame.
Thanks Les. My aim is to one day post an image that gets you excited :) but for now i'll gladly take a 'works well for me'. Ta (y)

Blimey! that is an amazing shot - so serene and calm, beautiful colours :)

Have posted a cropped version in the original post...what do you think works better?

Back