Lake District Location Book?

WWA

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm heading to the lakes for the first time next week. It's a family holiday but I hope to get an hour or two for a couple of the days to take some nice photos. Should I buy a lake district photography book to help me source the best locations quickly? If so which one? Or am I better just browsing TP, Flickr etc and deciding what I like and finding it on the map?

Unfortunately I won't have hours and hours each day to pick a location and wait for the light to be right.

Many thanks

Goto aira force waterfall!
And caatlerigg stone circle

Reactions: WWA
Goto aira force waterfall!
And caatlerigg stone circle

Was that meant to read cattlerigg? I know they are all like sheep up there!!!

No. Don't go there. Everyone goes there.
Try Claife Heights
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49561411@N02/22521567325/in/datetaken-public/
or Elterwater
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49561411@N02/21901649660/in/datetaken-public/
or walk by the River Brathay
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49561411@N02/22358395269/in/datetaken-public/
Try the ruins in Coppermines Valley near Coniston. Or the Loughrig Terrace.

In fact go anywhere more than 200 yards from the car. Yes I know that's a long way to walk and you might get lost and need to call out Mountain Rescue, but then you'll get a ride in a nice big helicopter!

Seriously have a bit of a trawl through my flickr. There's plenty from Lakes in there. Few from by the side of the road or where the guidebooks take you. The place is heaving with possibilities.

The natives are quite safe and they are used to English men now.

The natives are quite safe and they are used to English men now.

Pleased to hear it!

Thank you, I'll have a look through your Flickr. I'm not worried about a walk but will have a three month old in tow and so time is not unlimited.

Castlerigg stone circle.....

Cathedral cave!

The cave at ridale water!

Tile barn!

Ah yes. Cathedral Quarry. Wonderful place.

The cave at ridale????
Rydal is more likely. You'll be getting the poor man lost!

Ah yes. Cathedral Quarry. Wonderful place.

The cave at ridale????
Rydal is more likely. You'll be getting the poor man lost!
I know the places but names and spelling escape me [emoji12]

I was brought up a diet of gluten free maps!!!
I just take the wife!!!! She's an ex mountain leader with d of e gold and CO of a cadet air squadron who walked most of the lakes and can name the hills from sight!
Oh and an ex weapons trainer at Odiham air base!

Yes it will help. I got this one The Photographer's Guide to The Lake District it's cheap and very hepful
Hi, this book arrived today, its great, thank you for the advice.

For anyone else looking, this book has superb detail- OS locations for photos, nearest parking (with postcode), it goes into detail about the difficulty of the walk to locations and recommends the best time of year. Theres loads of locations in it too. The pictures in it are outstanding. Highly recommended, can't wait to use it next week.

Hope yo didn't drive today, there is extensive flooding up here. Sun is supposed to be out tomorrow (Sunday) so should be lovely.

Hope yo didn't drive today, there is extensive flooding up here. Sun is supposed to be out tomorrow (Sunday) so should be lovely.

Hi, thank you for your kind message- no we didn't risk it today, not worth it with a baby in tow. Do you think the flooding will be much better tomorrow or should I wait for Monday before we head over?

Police and Fire Brigade are advising everyone to keep out if Keswick, Kendal, Ambleside and just about everywhere else. In towns folk are having to be rescued. Rivers have burst their banks and it's not yet reached maximum.

Even if you can get in there in the next few days everywhere that isn't waterlogged with be sodden and wet through.

Several bridges need examining to see if they remain structurally sound - once the water has gone down far enough to allow inspection teams access.

Do yourself a favour and save your hard earned.

It's stopped raining at the moment where I am, just south of the national park but forecast is for more rain until about 4.00am and then drying up. No guarantees but things tend to rise and fall fairly quickly so it should be improving tomorrow, depends where you are coming from and where you are going. Keswick, Appleby and Kendal are all flooded but it could be a good chance to see some impressive floods and waterfalls if you are careful. I'd check the BBC Cumbria traffic website in the morning.

Its due to stop raining tomorrow, but the ground and the fells are saturated. While the Greta (Keswick's river) will start to drop a couple of hours after the rain stops it will not be much given what still needs to come off the fells. Monday and Tuesday show more rain so it is likely that it will start to rise again. I would say phone up where ever it is you are going and ask them what it is like where you are stopping. At the moment Keswick is getting the high winds also. Lived most of my life in Keswick and beside the Greta, and it is bad up there. I have to agree with Mickledore here you may wish to think about going elsewhere or going to other time.

Residents in Keswick hope to be allowed back into their homes sometime today. A months rain fell on Shap yesterday. Large parts of Morecambe Bay are without power. Many roads are impassable. All ground is saturated and can't hold any more water. Storm will be at max about now.

Do you really think it's a good idea to have a holiday there?

Hi, thanks for the messages guys, I really sounds horrible over there and my thoughts are with the residents of the affected areas.

We are due to be staying in a cottage between Windermere and Staveley, which has (unfortunately) all been paid for, so a bit late to worry about my hard earned.

The cottage company advised us not to travel yesterday and I'm due to ring them at 10 today to see what their advice is but by the sounds of things I won't be traveling over today or maybe not at all this week.

Lots and lots of road closures on BBC Cumbria website and as pointed out on here, lots more rain to come. What a shame, I was really looking forward to a week away to catch up on some R&R and was looking forward to doing some photography.

Can't be helped though and I'm hardly the unfortunate one when you see the pictures of peoples houses and business being washed away, again thoughts with them.

You might not have lost your hard earned. Cottage companies can be quite helpful in cases like this. If you talk to them nicely they may transfer your booking to another date. Got to be worth asking.

Depends where you are between Windermere and Staveley. Some of that area is low lying. Burneside just up the road from there was closed yesterday when the river burst it's banks. All non essential travel is being discouraged. Is your journey really necessary?

Try and get a date changed and save yourself a load of hassle.

Have decided not the risk the journey and looking at the forecast we've made the right decision.

Thanks everyone for their advice, hopefully the cottage company will be kind enough to come to some arrangement like different dates or a partial refund.

It's awful to hear of the devastation up there, hopefully things will improve soon and you'll also manage a trip in the near future. The Photographer's Guides are great, I actually met Ellen Bowness (writer of the guides) by chance in autumn, I was shooting on a small hillside near Little Langdale (near Blea Tarn but not in the book!) and she joined me up there. Very nice person and great to have someone to chat to in what can be a lonely pursuit. Another good guide book has been written by Stuart Holmes, this has extra information about weather conditions and what you can generally expect at different times of year. Both books are great to keep in the bag, but if the weather is dramatic pictures are to be had pretty much anywhere in the Lakes

Last edited:
It's awful to hear of the devastation up there, hopefully things will improve soon and you'll also manage a trip in the near future. The Photographer's Guides are great, I actually met Ellen Bowness (writer of the guides) by chance in autumn, I was shooting on a small hillside near Little Langdale (near Blea Tarn but not in the book!) and she joined me up there. Very nice person and great to have someone to chat to in what can be a lonely pursuit. Another good guide book has been written by Stuart Holmes, this has extra information about weather conditions and what you can generally expect at different times of year. Both books are great to keep in the bag, but if the weather is dramatic pictures are to be had pretty much anywhere in the Lakes

Just a note that all the photographs in Stuarts book are actually taken by him.. may or may not make a difference to some

Simon

Back