Lake District recommendations

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning a trip to Lake District in May with my partner and soon to be one-year-old.

Can anyone recommend a good place to base ourselves? Ideally somewhere a bit less busy (I know that's all relative in the lake district!).

It's absolutely not a photography trip but, you know... if there are any good locations nearby I wouldn't complain!

Thanks!

Ambleside or Keswick have the most choices for accommodation and places to eat, and lots of photo ops around both areas. May could be very busy but with the early mornings sunrises should be nice and quiet

Somewhere less busy? Kendal is just outside the National Park but very close with good access to the lake district "hot-spots". If you want to be in a lakes village Coniston is usually a bit less busy but still pretty central. For a lot less busy go to the western side, Ravenglass, Eskdale, Wasdale

What are you looking to do?
Do you have anywhere in mind to go?
Are you there during a bank holiday?

What are you looking to do?
Do you have anywhere in mind to go?
Are you there during a bank holiday?
Walking, exploring, swimming... maybe a little bit of photography! We're there for the bank holiday Monday and the following week, which isn't the half term week.

Walking, exploring, swimming... maybe a little bit of photography! We're there for the bank holiday Monday and the following week, which isn't the half term week.
Eskdale and wasdale would be my recommendation
Or possibly Cockermouth and round Loweswater Crummock water and Buttermere
Ennerdale is also lovely.

I was thinking Loweswater, Crummock and Buttermere...
Loweswater might be a good place to use as a base if you don't want to be in a town. It's a nice little village with a nice pub. It has decent access to the west if you want to do a day trip to Sellafield, Whitehaven, St Bees, etc, and it's not too far from Cockermouth and Keswick for shopping. The scenery in the immediate vicinity isn't that great though. There is a path all the way round the lake, but it's not right on the shore line and there's a lot of vegetation, so outside of winter it doesn't offer great views of the the lake.

Crummock Water is a much under aporeciated lake, but it's probably not a good base. There's really not much habitation, no villages, just a few scattered farm houses. The lake is quite big, so walking around it is a full day exercise, but it's not that enjoyable: the path on the west side isn't that great and the road on the east side is narrow and can be busy. Nice scenery - especially when seen from an elevation such as Low Fell - but I would suggest not really a base.

Buttermere is absolutely stunning. The scenery is amongst the very best in the Lakes, and the walk around the lake is wonderful. The village is lovely, and it has two good pubs, a cafe and an ice cream shop. All three roads in and out - Honister, Newlands, and Crummock - are fun to drive. The only issue is that it can get busy.

All three roads in and out - Honister, Newlands, and Crummock - are fun to drive. The only issue is that it can get busy.

Not fun at all when it gets busier. Folk that think a Fiat 500 is 8 feet wide and can't reverse. Bad enough on the 592 on my way to work.

Although the Lakes are actually very compact they really are divided into strict sections due to the hills/valleys - Ullswater/Brotherswater/Keldas/Dovedale/Deepdale is superb but you have to go over Kirkstone for Ambleside although journey to Keswick isn't bad and you have Great Mell Fell/Blencathra/Tewet Tarn en route. Its not as busy as the central Lakes either and a doddle to get to from Junction 40 M6 or A66

Borrowdale is a great wee base. Loads to do down Manesty and you have the whole of Grange Fell (Shepherds Crag/Kings How etc) with great views across to Skiddaw. You also have Stonethwaite and Seathwaite off to the side before you even get to Honister. Plenty of small cottages as well for rent if that's what you're doing.

Not fun at all when it gets busier. Folk that think a Fiat 500 is 8 feet wide and can't reverse. Bad enough on the 592 on my way to work.

Tell me about it.

Generally the Further west the quieter in gets, Hawkshead would be a nice base not a huge town and close to Lake Windermere and Coniston

ive stayed in and around ambleside in june many times and yes parking in ambleside is busy but not rammed out. im happy to drive out to where ever, either in one go or in short stints. ive yet to sit in a traffic jam or feel like its oxford street in london.

like any tourist destination its not where you stay as so much where you go and when. Wastwater can be heaving along the shore line, park at the far end and walk up to the falls and you will have it to yourself bar the odd walker passing by.

Last summer it was 29c nearly every day we were there. I have a black greyhound that struggles above 20c. as its light till 10pm we lounged around for the day and headed out in the evenings.

As for locations there are plenty that a nice evening meal can be followed by a short drive or stroll and find somewhere to shoot. I dont have kids so dont know what lugging a 1 year old around is like. But plenty of spots that can be parked near with 10 minute walk to. The photography the lakedistrictbook is good for helping with palnning and where to park

All I could say I stayed a day in Irton hall and the place is very nice and very quiet. It is right next to Wast Water which means all the rest is some distance away.

somewhere around Keswick or Grasmere would be the most central location.

Last edited:
If you’re after no phone/tv full on lakes I would recommend Hassness in Buttermere, it’s owned by the Ramblers so the breaks include guided walks (you don’t need to do these)

Back