Landscape gear recommendation for relative beginner!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, can I please pick your brains?

It is my wife's birthday in a few weeks and she has expressed an interest in landscape photography, in particular wide vistas and closeups of "interesting textures" (stone, water, tree bark etc).

She currently has a Canon EOS 10D and Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC. This lens isn't a bad landscape lens (IMHO) at ~18mm, but I'm guessing there are much better out there, eg Sigma 10-20 et al? Also, would a landscape lens like the 10-20 be any use for the macro stuff she wants to do? What sort of filters she would find useful - I'm guessing a polarizer is a no-brainer, but what after that?

She is a bit of a "hobby horse" so the risk is she will lose interest and be stuck with a lens she doesn't use, so I don't want to spend a fortune on this. But on the other hand, I don't want to go too cheap, leave her with some gear that doesn't deliver results to inspire and she loses interest as a result! Also, I don't want to have to think of another present as she's difficult enough to buy for! :D

Any help gratefully received! (y)

Hi guys, can I please pick your brains?

It is my wife's birthday in a few weeks and she has expressed an interest in landscape photography, in particular wide vistas and closeups of "interesting textures" (stone, water, tree bark etc).

She currently has a Canon EOS 10D and Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC. This lens isn't a bad landscape lens (IMHO) at ~18mm, but I'm guessing there are much better out there, eg Sigma 10-20 et al? Also, would a landscape lens like the 10-20 be any use for the macro stuff she wants to do? What sort of filters she would find useful - I'm guessing a polarizer is a no-brainer, but what after that?

She is a bit of a "hobby horse" so the risk is she will lose interest and be stuck with a lens she doesn't use, so I don't want to spend a fortune on this. But on the other hand, I don't want to go too cheap, leave her with some gear that doesn't deliver results to inspire and she loses interest as a result! Also, I don't want to have to think of another present as she's difficult enough to buy for! :D

Any help gratefully received! (y)
set of ND Grad filters always useful for landscapes, cable release, spirit level. If you want to splash out on a Macro lens I have been playing with a Tamron 90mm f2.8 and a bit cheaper the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro really hard to find difference with them. The Sigma 10-20mm wide is a very nice lens but not as good for macro.
Cheers
Brian
ps L angle finders are useful too if you don't have movable lcd screen

Go for the ND grad filters these are the ones that are half clear and half grad, and get the holder for them and the relevent filter adaptor for your given lens.
As you say she may jack in the landscape stuff this would be the safest bet dont get cokin ones Lee are the top dogs doings but very exspensive im going to get some Hitech ones as reported no colour casts and good price, easy to shift if she doesnt go for the landscape stuff.
As mentioned a spirit level those that fit in the hot shoe you dont need the electric ones a simple bubble type would do.
This way she gets to try ant minimal outlay on existing lens and if she takes to it well then look to a wider lens.

does landscape = wide for her?
as mentioned many seem to shoot landscape with a 70-200 on a FF camera.
seems a bit narrow for me but I guess it's down to taste and skill level
I just like Wiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddeeeeeee

ND grads, recommend from my research and recent purchase hitech fitlers. £40 del I think, from team photo

all round lens...18-50 sigma won't break the completely bank, will do f2.8 and has a macro option I think

Back