Landscape Photographer of the Year 2007

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't think this has been mentioned before on here.

Prize of £10,000. Entries in by 31/05/07 BUT you have to pay to enter !:razz:

Is this the start of a new trend ? They get loads of photos for a new book with the entrants paying all the costs and then only hand out £10,000.

Take a look at http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/default.htm

I'm sure everyone here could submit a few good landscapes.

Ray

Emailed them to laugh at the notion. I think they should be told that this approach is not a sound one.

Yup, its not a new thing afaik. Its common practice. I've entered a few competitions like this.

I have had a couple of emails back and forth (they are fast responders!) and the y have explained their stance fairly well, although I do think that their "terms and conditions" are too restrictive.

Anyone entering?

was considering - But not sure of some of the T&C's - section 16 seems a little OTT
'..By entering the competition, you grant Take a view and its supporting partners a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, the images.....'

No merging of multiple images Pete ! - No HDR then.

Yeah I saw that. No HDR :( But whats photography without hdr!

"No HDR" is silly cos Ansel Adams was blending stuff for years... I think they just are tied up with thinking HDR as the horrible muddy ones with huge halo's.

I might give this a go. I'm off on holiday to Dartmouth in a couple of months, and I'm aiming to come back with some decent shots.

I agree that the T&C's seem a bit tight, but I've resolved to really make an effort with my photography this year.

'..By entering the competition, you grant Take a view and its supporting partners a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, the images.....'

With you there Neil. In the extremely unlikely scenario that i produce something good enough to win, i sure as **** want to retain all image rights to it. Far too anal in my approach i guess. Dont even think it Janice :nono:

I think I'll have a punt at this not least as it's the idea of Charlie Waite, one of my landscape "heroes". To be successful and have one image exhibited and splashed across a few publications (let alone the cash) is, in my opinion, a greater benefit than the copyright restrictions. What an advert for your talent if you're successful!

I'm not sure on the paying for entry idea, but the T&Cs quoted are unfortunately not uncommon. This site mentions a number of 'rights grab' cases. This one is particularly interesting since the organisers seem to consider it ok to take the rights from amateurs, but not pros. :thumbsdown:

Paul
:)

I can understand the concern as in that case, the organisers were given the ability to sell the images onto third parties. Clause 16 of the Take a View T & Cs imply that reproduction of the image will be in connection with the competition: http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/termsandconditions.htm. Also "Finalists agree to take part in post-competition publicity" - so just turn up to any publicity shots with your webby on a T-shirt :D

Back