Landscape photography

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
HI Folks,

I am looking for a very good quality black and white 35mm film for taking landscape shots, i am looking having lots of detail in the images.

Please any ideas on what type of film and what iso is best

Regards

Paul Tomo(y)

Clearly the choice of ISO is dependant on the conditions expected.

There is (and has always been) a trade-off between ISO and factors such as tonal range and grain size. The answer to the ISO question thus becomes the slowest film possible for the subject and the available light.

Bear in mind that in order to get the sky looking attractive you are likely to need a yellow, orange or red correction filter which can lose you as much as 3 stops for a red filter.

As to specific film choice this is a very personal preference. I have always got on well with Ilford films and very rarely use anything else. If you can get away with it Pan F Plus - rated at 50 ISO is an outstanding film. Exposed and processed correctly it has fantastic tonal range (particularly the mid tones) and tiny grain.

At slightly higher ISO the Ilford choice is between Dalta 100 Professional and FP4 Plus (125 ISO). Horses for courses here - the Delta has slightly better grain (at the expense of needing long fixing times) but to my taste the overall look of the FP4 is preferable.

Hope this helps.

Couple of examples of FP4 plus 125

2840634367_0295556138.jpg

2840636771_0ab68954a6.jpg

Back