Landscape tripod

Edit My Images
Yes
Please can someone suggest a suitable tripod for landscape photography, using a 400D with grip. Weight is an issue as it will get lugged around alot.

Thanks!

I'd go for a Monfrotto 055 or 190 style with an 808RC4 head....the head's a little bit of overkill but you can grow into it.
All in all about 3.5 kgs total.

Bob

I wouldn't use it as my main tripod but if your after an ultra light tripod for trekking, the Manfrotto Modo ive bought my dad for xmas seems very good. But for a general use tripod I would suggest the same as Canon Bob. Either that or a a Gitzo CF one if your budget stretches that much.

I just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB with 488RC2 head and i cant recomend it enough. It is very stable and fairly light for what it is.

I got it for £155 free delivery next day from Morrisphoto.co.uk

I then bought a Manfrotto 70cm Tripod bag from Jessops for £22.

Excellent combination.

I just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB with 488RC2 head and i cant recomend it enough.

The 488RC is a ball head and not really ideal for landscapes. A tilt and pan is the tool for the job.

Bob

Agree entirely about 055/190, excellent tripod for the money.

I think the head (808RC4) is a bit of an overkill, particularly on weight.

My preference would be for one of their ball heads (486RC2), it will cope with all you can throw at it, unless you are using big lenses, mine copes with a 1ds MKII and all my lenses except 100-400L.

And save yourself a kilo in weight.

The 488RC is a ball head and not really ideal for landscapes. A tilt and pan is the tool for the job.

Bob

Sorry Bob, respectfully disagree, ball heads are ideal for landscapes, modern designs (like manfrotto) mean they are as solid as a rock, and if you use a hotshoe spirit level, horizontals/verticals are taken care of.

But each to their own :)

Agree entirely about 055/190, excellent tripod for the money....
...I think the head (808RC4) is a bit of an overkill, particularly on weight....
Agreed, the 808RC4 is overkill for now....that's why I added that it was for "growing in to"...longer, heavier lenses in future.
Sorry Bob, respectfully disagree, ball heads are ideal for landscapes, modern designs (like manfrotto) mean they are as solid as a rock, and if you use a hotshoe spirit level, horizontals/verticals are taken care of.
But each to their own :)
I'll confess to not be a "landscaper" very often but consider it is similar in requirements to macro when composing. I find that having the ability to unlock one axis at a time is very beneficial and it's difficult to achieve with a ball. I use a 488 ball as a "do everything" but have 3 t&p heads which I find better for exact compositions.
As you say though..."each to their own"

Bob

I have to agree, if you want to do some panos then don't go for a ball head. The 3 way will let you rotate the camera horizontally without having to worry about it moving vertically or any other unwanted way.

I find, overall, the 3 way is a more precise way of doing things, but having said that it's a very personal thing. :)

I used a Velbon Maxi-F on a recent trip to Japan. Great in terms of weight, but not that great (although possibly adequate) in terms of performance.

The quick release legs are quite good once you get used to them, although I frequently found that I hadn't tightened them correctly, resulting in the tripod slowly sinking in one direction as a leg recompressed - very annoying when you've just composed or started a long exposure.

Also, the head was average. I found that I was having to compose shots slightly higher than I wanted as the head has a certain amount of play in it. I.e. On releasing the head it would sag very slightly. This was probably the most irritating attribute of the tripod actually.

So, if weight is an issue it might be worth looking at. It's a pretty good tripod, but not without its drawbacks.

Thanks for the replies.

I now have a 190PROB with a 804RC2 (it's a Christmas present for my wife). I bought it from Jessops for £154 (I know I might have got it cheaper online but 1/ I wanted it now! 2/ I wanted to play with one before buying and 3/ supporting a high street shop!)

A little bump for this thread..

I want the 405 Geared head!!! it was on show at Focus... i was drooling all over it!!! lol...

I use Manfrotto's junior geared head (410 i think). It's a bit slow, but you can get precise adjustments for leveling. The legs are carbon fibre 055MF4. A ball head is used by many pros and a good all round choice.

Back