laptop or picture viewer???

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
My MD at work can get me a brand spanker toshiba A100 laptop with DVD writer etc...for £350. This has lit the ideas touch paper in my head. What do you peeps think about getting it for taking out with me when I go shooting(pics). I thought 2 birds 1 stone where it gives me ample storage plus I can photoshop and tinter net too. Or should I get one of those picture viewer jobbies ie epson p4000. Thing is I'm leaning more to the lappy cause prices are similar, but you get more for you money with a laptop. :help:

I'd go for the Epson - you can actually shove it in your bag, or a roomy pocket. You'll get the P2000 for around 300 quid, but the P4000 is more like £450 I think.

You aren't going to want to carry a laptop about with you all the time.

But I'd get one anyway. If I didn't already have one. Which I do. :)

I already have the P2000 ... wouldn't be without it now, fantastic bit of kit (gadget !?!) ... but then I would not be without my lappy either ... new 6400 all my very own rather than a works one ... :p

i have to agree with the above... a laptop is an essential piece of kit, but you would'nt want to carry it around with you every day.

i have just ordered a card reader for my ipod (i dont know if you have one). not sure what its goin to be like but hopefully it'll save me having to fork out £300 for a picture viewer... i have my eye on a couple of lenses that i would rather that go on:naughty:

have a look at the new vosonic. the vb83** (theres 2 different versions), good value, under £300 for a 60gb one, will also play mp3, wma, etc, mpeg, avi video as well as all your image storage with a built in card reader.

or the jobo giga vu, similar but a bit more expensive.

ive had a look at one recently and im tempted but theres so much more on the shopping list at the moment.

Looks a decent bit of kit ... but the screen on the Epson would knock your sox off ... and it is bigger too ! OK so it doesn't quite have the memory ... it just depends what you want out of a viewer/pic store ?

Agreed - the screen on the Epson is awesome.

I will have to investigate further on this and actually see these in the flesh so to speak.

CT said:
Agreed - the screen on the Epson is awesome.
Scarily good, I know of one guy who actually sells prints just from the output of the P2000. Was the purchase I had planned before the flash went pop

I suspect the battery life on the viewer will be much better than the laptop too.

Actually, one of the biggest critisms of the P-2000 is it's battery life. Not sure what it is (even though I own one!!) but it didn't last a day once, having downloaded about 10gb of data, and some heavy viewing of some of the pictures on it to various friends. I'd imagine it'll be OK just for d/l cards during a day. BTW, the screen IS awsome!!

Also, if you are considering one, and can afford to wait (as well as the money no doubt) the 4500 is imminent, and that's suppose to address various issues with the 2000/4000. Faster downloads is the only one I can remember.

Thanks for that, I'll get away with a handfull of cards on my jollies got 3x 1Gb cards plus a 256mb. Will pick up another 1gb from dixons duty free if they've got some keen prices. Then i'll wait till the 4500 appears on the scene.

Looks impressive, wonder if you could run photoshop? says any XP software would work.

be awfully slow with a 900mhz processor Glen.

i went the laptop route just because it had more uses for me such as internet while at the inlaws and i can take it around if i need in my bag but i wouldnt like to carry it on a hike etc lol. im not sure ill invest in an image viewer aswell, maybe just a few more 2gig flash cards or something.

Back