Large Picture Frame : 2mm or 3mm Glass?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I've made a picture frame 1300mm x 1030mm. Can I use 2mm glass in such a big frame? Would it be strong enough, or must I use 3mm?

Thanks

I've made a picture frame 1300mm x 1030mm. Can I use 2mm glass in such a big frame? Would it be strong enough, or must I use 3mm?

Thanks
If glass, that is a sizeable piece and were I in your shoes I would consult a professional framer who regularly uses glass in their work. As IMO 2mm float glass is too thin at that size........even 3mm seems thin! Unless of course it is rated/stated as toughened in some manner.

However, if you are referring to 'glazing' and the material in question is acrylic then 2mm is likely fine, though still worthwhile consulting a framer?

Last edited:
2mm float glass will be ok, unless its a 'box frame' and only supported on a small 5/6mm strip around the edge, if it has a decent width mount and the frame is made with pinned and glued joints it will be fine, if the frame is narrow, you may have a problem with the frame twisting when picked up and moved, this will stress the glass diagonally and may break it. if your worried about your corner joints put some 90deg flat brackets on them, as when the frame is hung all the weight is on the bottom frame side and joints.

Back