Late last night:

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
At various magnifications and cropped to show a bit more. Venus lens, ringflash.

Drainfly:

Globular springtail - this one very young I think - it's about as small a globby I've seen this year: (at 2:1)

Paul.

Wow ... Wow and wow again.... So can't wait for this Lens to arrive.

Looks like you have got the ring flash singing too... what have you changed? Can you show us .... Might get me using the Ring Flash again. :)

The eye detail on the last one is immense who needs an MP-E when you can crop down this bad boy.

"Excellent" set of images Paul, I'm impressed with the detail you are achieving with your new lens setup.(y)

George.

Excellent and very impressive that you can crop and still see good detail:)

Cool! Love the drain fly with his wings up. He looks a bit bald on top. I found one the other week and he had a full rug on his back.

Some great macro images here, this Venus lens seems to be producing good results.

Cheers Paul. :)

Cool! Love the drain fly with his wings up. He looks a bit bald on top. I found one the other week and he had a full rug on his back.

I think they vary a fair bit with age...

Paul.

Oh my bit also, great shots, amazing detail on both these critters.
PS. I'm sure Bryn will wet his pants when his Venus arrives :p

Looking forward to his efforts.

Paul.

Looking forward to his efforts.

Paul.

haha depends what effort you are looking forward too, the camera arriving and seeing some cool shots or the wet pants :p:whistle::exit:

Its on its way ...... :love:
toilet-4.gif

Last edited:
The eye detail on the last one is immense who needs an MP-E when you can crop down this bad boy.

@Tintin124 Bryn, @TimmyG Tim - someone asked what the white bits were, but I don't know. Any ideas?

Oh and Tim, in your quote you mentioned crop? Here is the above #6 cropped again to show the white bits, and the eyes!

Paul.

Could the white blobs be mites hitching a ride or a meal?

Think it may be secretions for cleaning purposes...

I had something similar, if you click through to flickr then view 100% can see same thing

Think it may be secretions for cleaning purposes...

I had something similar, if you click through to flickr then view 100% can see same thing

Bryn, yours looks more like "stuff" it's picked up from the substrate. The secretions you are referring to are more like water droplets and (certainly in globbies) they exude this from their mouths, catching it in a claw before rubbing it over their bodies.

Paul, yours do look very similar but are more evenly distributed. I'm unsure why this would be and it certainly looks more like it's coming out of the body. Maybe it's walked through something and the bits have attached at the same height. The only other thing I can think it it could be early signs of a fungal infection.

Some collembola do excrete chemicals as a defence mechanism, but I wasn't aware this species did it, and certainly never seen it for myself. Anything's possible with these guys, they seem to come out with more and more gadgets the more you study them, but I would err on the side of caution and say it's just something they've picked up!

Bryn, yours looks more like "stuff" it's picked up from the substrate. The secretions you are referring to are more like water droplets and (certainly in globbies) they exude this from their mouths, catching it in a claw before rubbing it over their bodies.

I thought that at first but the 2 at front and one on the back are the exact same shape (like a turd emoticon but transparent) plus it was on my patio. It does have a liquid drop on its leg at the back.

You could be completely correct it was just the shape and the consistency that confused me. Might see if Frans can shed some light.

I thought that at first but the 2 at front and one on the back are the exact same shape (like a turd emoticon but transparent) plus it was on my patio. It does have a liquid drop on its leg at the back.

You could be completely correct it was just the shape and the consistency that confused me. Might see if Frans can shed some light.

I sent the photo to Fran via Twitter Bryn, this morning. She may reply to me, but you could tweet her my twitter if you think she is more likely to respond to you?

Paul.

Last edited:
Now... I'm deadly confused I'm sure Frans is a fella but I only made that assumption from the flickr profile. Can't find Frans twitter page.

LOL.... The one I sent it to is @FransiscaSconce on Twitter... :)

Paul.

(like a turd emoticon but transparent).
LOL, is that the scientific description ;)

Ok I took a close look at yours Bryn, their are indeed all similarly shaped and look like baby snails. I think what you have here is a bad case of the nematodes. They are actually tiny soil dwelling worms and I suspect they are parasitic and curled up on your specimen. See here for another example:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/odonataman/6795648626/

I also found this image with a quick google search, and guess what.. it's a Dicyrtomina species:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shane58/2191346955/

Paul, looking at your image again, I think I can make out the coils on some of the white splotches too so would give the same diagnosis. I can only suggest it is coincidence that they are so evenly spread, unless the nematodes latch on to key areas on the body for some reason.

LOL, is that the scientific description ;)

nematodes.

You mean Nematurds.... lol It indeed was the scientific description :D

On that link Frans responded with this;

This is not a case of parasitism but of phoresis (hitch hiking).
It is the 3rd documented case at Flickr of phoresis by nematodes on Collembola.
Nematodes can also start a deadly war on Collembola as shown by a series of shocking shots, courtesy of LordV, of an army of nematodes attacking specimens of Proisotoma minuta in a compost heap

Plus also has a Picture with the Nematodes on a Dicyrtomina :)

Back