Late night fishing

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken at Montrose Basin, about 2 minutes from where I live...

normal_IMG_5294-01.jpg

very good, nice and simple! what settings did you use?

The raw file is already tucked away on a backup DVD.

I'll reply tommorrow when I get a chance to dig the EXIF out, can't remember offhand but it was at 300mm hand held!

This is a reasonable shot however it could be improved by having the subject off centre both horizontally and vertically. By having it as you have you have split the frame right down the middle both ways.

Take a look at the very good article that CT has written, it's on "the rule of thirds" which is widely accepted to be a must to follow for the majority of photos.

The article can be found here

Hope that helps :)

Settings were 300mm, f5.6, 1/250, ISO800 shot in RAW, run through neatimage and slightly cropped.

I saw the rule of thirds roughly in there (The lighter top section of water and the 2 figures and deliberately didn't lower the boat as I wanted to retain all of the reflections of the figures in the water.

I found the rule of thirds article by CT very informative (the best I've seen) and have previously using the 'boxes', not the intersections.

Again, another lesson learned!

As a ROT shot it might have worked... then again it might not. As it is, it works IMO. Good colours, nice subject.
The thing with digital is you can cover your bases by taking tons of shots covering lots of different angles & possibilities & wait till you get home to decide what doesn't work, what does, & which are definite keepers. The 1st thing I do after a download is delete about 60% in the 1st pass, then at least 10% in a 2nd pass of what are "good pics... but that's a better one of the same subject". At the end of that I might still have 3 shots of a particular item... 1 or none might make it to my printer.

Hedgehog said:
The 1st thing I do after a download is delete about 60% in the 1st pass, then at least 10% in a 2nd pass of what are "good pics... but that's a better one of the same subject". At the end of that I might still have 3 shots of a particular item... 1 or none might make it to my printer.

I have a similar workflow in this respect. I also sleep on them and leave them in my gallery for a couple of weeks then go back and delete even more.

Here's another shot of the same subject...

IMG_5281-01.jpg

Thats a much better picture, however I still think you have not quite made the best out of it yet.

Cropped it to make it fit the rule of thirds more and altered the colour balance slightly using curves to bring out the best whilst still maintaining the soft, warm colours. Finished witha simple border. :)

IMG_5281-01.jpg

WOW!

Thats much better :shock:

I will be making a concious effort not to put everything bang centre. (and promise to look up the correct spelling of consious/concious)

I really like what you have done with it :thankyous

Back