Latest Portrait

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have just done some more portraits, using 2 lights on the background this time with a softbox as the main light.

Here is one of the results, comments anyone

No_4.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris - lovely pic, but seems to have lost some of the saturation/colour balance. Do you have the original still?

Hi

I processed it using a Lightroom present called 'CP**RAW_BLEACHBYPASS'

The original file shot in RAW is attached below

IMG_7988a.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

i know nothing so pay no heed to me but the first seems as if the her beautiful face has been washed out to me.. ut very good pic's i have to say

(y)

imo the raw shot is alot better.

might want a few tweaks but nothing like the 1 st

md(y)

Hi Chris

Hope you don't mind, I had a little play with the image. I love high-key images, and think they really work well with kids. I see the tick checked on your profile so hope this is OK. Shout if you want it removed...

cjlawton.jpg

have to agree
theMusicMan has done a better job of post-process - sorry!

great model tho - and nicely posed

yea the origonal edit gave her big brown eyes, but origonaly she has blue eyes. Pre-set edits usualy aint the best to use as there is never one certain way to edit a photo...

Seeing as she has blone hair and blue eyes i'd have made the image a lot more soft and subtle with colour than what the pre-set made of it..

Damned pre-set edits, there the devil i tell ya!

Hi Chris

Hope you don't mind, I had a little play with the image. I love high-key images, and think they really work well with kids. I see the tick checked on your profile so hope this is OK. Shout if you want it removed...

cjlawton.jpg

Really good picture and love the way you have processed it theMusicMan - do you mind me asking what process you went through to get the background totally white? When I can't get this right in the camera I fiddle abut in photoshop with random things til the background looks seamlessly white, but wondered if you had a quick way!!
Thanks xx

Easiest way for me (most of the time) is to just airbrush the shadows away, with a low edge hardness it usualy works quite well. Unless you have to rub along un-even textures like hair/furr etc. Another good point to this technique is that it leave the origonal image completely un-touched, so you dont have to change the way the image looks just to get a seemless background.
Also experiment with a couple of layers of the same image? That way you can give individual sections of the image different levels, curves, hue, contrast etc. Works well if an image isnt perfectly light.

If you dont understand what i mean (cause i know i blabber a lot) just say the word and i'll get a bunch of screen dumps on here to show you what i mean and how it usualy works best...

I think there are 2 problems with the as-shot that stand out to me

1) the background isn't evenly lit, which gives you more PP work to do painting it back to white
2) the lit bit also doesn't come low enough down the backdrop. Ideally, it should be totally white above her head and down to, or below, her knees

The most common reasons for above are - the rear lights aren't powerful enough, that they are positioned too high, and that the umbrella/softboxes aren't big enough. This is compounded by the obvious lack of space between subject & background in this shot (presumably you just don't have much space?)

If you can... move both the subject and rear lights towards you a bit, even a foot will make a difference in evening out the rear lighting. If still not right, reduce the key light's output by 1 f-stop compared to the rear (expose for the key of course) and you should see an improvement

The original exposure was probably 1/2 stop under, and although MM's PP is good as a recovery, the skin tones have suffered a bit - most noticeable in her foot

If you can get it right at the taking, PP is simply a wipe around the front with a soft-edged white brush which takes 10-20 seconds and maintains the skin colour more accurately as you don't change the exposure at all

The face-on posing doesn't normally work too well, but you can get away with it with kids - what's really nice in your shot is the clearly unforced smile & connection to the girl, showing you're relating well to your subject (y)

Having said all that, it could just be you're after a highly processed look to the shot, in which case it worked pretty well... and now ignore all of the above :LOL:

I hope those comments make sense & help a bit?

(y)

some great advise there from dd...

thought id have a little play .
hope you dont mind.
but its a very nice shot...

IMG_7988a1.jpg

md(y)

ps think ive over done the eyes but i hope you get the idea.

wel done monkey dave, proof that the picture can be made after taking the shot.
the inclusion of the drop shadow really makes it, but the eyes are ott. (unless she is a Goauld from Star Gate)

It's a super shot - love the expression and pose.

Back