Lav vs boom mic?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Yo

I'm planning a documentary video at the moment and one thing I've get to get my head around is sound! :puke:

Luckily being a uni student I can have access to all sorts of audio stuff! For an interview outdoors would I be best to use a boom mic or lav? Or possibly both?

I'll be recording onto a Tascam DR100, would I be able to split it up into 2 different channels or would I need two Tascams?

Help please! :D:help:

From experience you probably will get better audio in this situation with a lav mike, especially if you are operating single handed. Booms are usefull when you have multiple people in the same shot, but ambient noise, and wind ( even with a dead cat) can be a problem..

Rhode have an interactive app that lets you audion different mics in different situations.. Might be worth dropping to their web site and using the Sound Booth app

From experience you probably will get better audio in this situation with a lav mike, especially if you are operating single handed. Booms are usefull when you have multiple people in the same shot, but ambient noise, and wind ( even with a dead cat) can be a problem..

Rhode have an interactive app that lets you audion different mics in different situations.. Might be worth dropping to their web site and using the Sound Booth app

Cheers that website proved very useful, it seems outdoors a lav may be the best bet! (y)

As a professional post production sound mixer, I would VERY strongly advocate a short shotgun mic in a rycote cage. Omni lav mice sound terrible and are only used professionally when there is no option to get a real mic nearby. With a lav the signal to noise radio is awful as is the propensity to rumble with wind, forcing you to bury them and ruin the hf response even further. They pick up chest resonances and we have eq the bejesus out of them to sound half decent. They crackle and rustle - need I go on? Still, they keep me employed fixing the results from using them! :)

Back