Lavender fields in Essex?

Name
ian
Edit My Images
No
like to start of by saying hello to all you fellow photographers. Really like this site, just looked in the landscape photography photo section and liking the way everyone gives critiques, good or bad. I think it's really positive. Spent to long on Flickr where it's all a bit to nice so that's good.

I am located in Essex and would love to capture some blue fields be it lavender or something else, sunflowers etc, any locals with some info on this would be great.

Where abouts in Essex are you? I'm on the border between Herts and just past Stevenage is the lovely hitchin lavender fields. In full bloom right now and worth a visit. Twenty three miles away for me but can't be far depending where you are.

like to start of by saying hello to all you fellow photographers. Really like this site, just looked in the landscape photography photo section and liking the way everyone gives critiques, good or bad. I think it's really positive. Spent to long on Flickr where it's all a bit to nice so that's good.

I am located in Essex and would love to capture some blue fields be it lavender or something else, sunflowers etc, any locals with some info on this would be great.

To get a particular photograph you sometimes have to travel miles. For me, it wouldn't be too much to spend 3/4 hours in one direction to get the shot. Google lavender fields and see where they are, then check they are in flower to stop wasted journeys. I normally try Flickr, do a search then filter them to recent pictures to see if anyones been there that day/week. Hitchen seems to be the best/closest to you according to google maps and, as a bonus do sunflowers too.

I have a sunflower field on my doorstep, had a look last week, its only inches high at the moment, can't wait for it to bloom. Good luck !!

OOOPS EDIT.
Dean posted whilst I was typing and looks like you are in luck and have one practically on your doorstep.

Last edited:
Where abouts in Essex are you? I'm on the border between Herts and just past Stevenage is the lovely hitchin lavender fields. In full bloom right now and worth a visit. Twenty three miles away for me but can't be far depending where you are.
I am mid essex, right of chelmsford but i do work in stevenage at GSK. I phoned hitching up yesterday, the only problem is no access after 5pm so I'm working on it.
if your south essex just over the water in Kent is the Hop Shop farm at Lullingstone.
http://hopshop.co.uk/find-us/

only 15-20 mins from Dartford crossing
Possibly closer for me, i would also visit that lovely chapel thats down that way while i was at it.
Thanks for your help people.

yeah you have lullingstone roman villa there and the river darent as well as eyensford which is very pretty ( country park there always nice for the hale bale shots later in the year.) parking at lullingstone country park is only a couple of quid and nice walk along the river up to lullingstone castle too

Thank-you Dean. Sounds really good, I will look into that.

Thank-you Popeye, Nice one for that. It's good to be on-board, Like the idea of seeing work critiqued, and real opinions.
Regards. Ps.

The Hop Shop point blank refused me access, Hitchin on the other hand were very helpful.

Another one is Mayfield Lavender in Surrey, a bit further but a really good location for sunrise or sunset and there is a public footpath right through the middle of the field.

The Hop Shop point blank refused me access, Hitchin on the other hand were very helpful.

Another one is Mayfield Lavender in Surrey, a bit further but a really good location for sunrise or sunset and there is a public footpath right through the middle of the field.
seems a bit odd. never had any problems at the hop farm when ive been there, BUT ytou have to remember its also a fully functioning working farm as well so cant have people coming in whenever , so have to adhere to certain times.
mayfield is the same though being on a main road and with a public right of way next to it its harder for them to implement access ( you can park in the oaks opposite mayfield too )

Thanks Justin and Dean, I phoned Hitchin up on sunday and got a big fat no but I can shoot in there opening times, they did state though that on Tuesdays evenings I could gain access till 9pm which is handy as I work the night shift in Stevenage, I will look into mayfields this weekend as theres other stuff to shoot that way. If I don't have any joy with them two I will head of to surrey this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Back