Law Hill

Name
Alistair Vannet
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not really a landscape person, I can't really see a "shot" but great landscape shots really turn my head and it is something I would like to improve. C&C welcome as normal.

Dundee_Shot_800pix.jpg

Dundee_Shot_800pix_2.jpg

Landscape photography is as different as macro to sports. Different ball game, same kit, similar rules, but everything else is different.

Some of the points that I try to follow:
- rule of 1/3rds is important in landscape
- focal point or lead in lines otherwise the eye doesnt know where to look.
- Exposure. This is probably why HDR gets used so much as the min-max luminance of a landscape shot can be massive. Much more than the sensor can cope with in one go.
- The sky. Adds interestingness, but generally gets blown out. Hence why peeps use NG filters (mental note to add to xmas list).

Of course all the above can be completely ignored and you can still get a corker of a shot. Funny old life init?

As to your 2 shots.
1: Is that Dundee from some hill?
- exposure is good, but there is nothing there that holds my attention, beside s the 4 towerblocks, and even then my eyes have been wandering round trying to figure it out.

2: Same hill - bit further around?
- Much better IMHO.
- Has foreground something in the middle and some sky
- The steps lead you in and the bridge continues the theme
- Light and exposure are good too.

I like the second one, the steps lead you into the picture, and the bridge adds a second focal point.

Thanks for all the comments guys (y)

The bridge in the second shot is the tay rail bridge, in around 1818 the first bridge collapsed while a train was going over and killed over 100 people.

Landscape photography is as different as macro to sports. Different ball game, same kit, similar rules, but everything else is different.

Some of the points that I try to follow:
- rule of 1/3rds is important in landscape
- focal point or lead in lines otherwise the eye doesnt know where to look.
- Exposure. This is probably why HDR gets used so much as the min-max luminance of a landscape shot can be massive. Much more than the sensor can cope with in one go.
- The sky. Adds interestingness, but generally gets blown out. Hence why peeps use NG filters (mental note to add to xmas list).

Of course all the above can be completely ignored and you can still get a corker of a shot. Funny old life init?

As to your 2 shots.
1: Is that Dundee from some hill?
- exposure is good, but there is nothing there that holds my attention, beside s the 4 towerblocks, and even then my eyes have been wandering round trying to figure it out.

2: Same hill - bit further around?
- Much better IMHO.
- Has foreground something in the middle and some sky
- The steps lead you in and the bridge continues the theme
- Light and exposure are good too.

Thanks for the comments and advice, I agree with you on the first shot. I mabey should have used a longer lens and isolated the flats?

The photographs are from the law hill its the biggest hill in Dundee, it has the war memorial on top of it.

Back