Leading lines

Great idea but IMO this type of shot needs to have a good perspective ... the verticals and horizontals are out, but easily corrected. :)

Nice lines and colours Gary :D

Just a thought on lines and convergence etc... I think that when lines are symmetrical side to side / top to bottom / corners etc... I think things can start to look a little samey or even contrived so personally I think sometimes a lack of symmetry and not lining up can be welcome.

Last edited:
"Excellent" architectural style capture Gary, liking this pic very much.

Great strong graphics and lines, if you have one without the person then that’s the winner on this occasion!

Caught my eye from the thumb nail. So it really does work as an image.

Gaz

Yep. Like that.

Like @Brazo though I wonder if it would work better ‘empty’.

Alternatively think it could be good with a longer shutter speed and blur anyone present.

Looks a good spot to play around though for sure.

Fabulous! Really eye catching!
Thank you

Just a thought on lines and convergence etc... I think that when lines are symmetrical side to side / top to bottom / corners etc... I think things can start to look a little samey or even contrived so personally I think sometimes a lack of symmetry and not lining up can be welcome.
Thank you
"Excellent" architectural style capture Gary, liking this pic very much.
Thank you
Caught my eye from the thumb nail. So it really does work as an image.

Gaz
Thank you

Great strong graphics and lines, if you have one without the person then that’s the winner on this occasion!
Thank you. I was there for an hour, and this is the only one without people in it.
Yep. Like that.

Like @Brazo though I wonder if it would work better ‘empty’.

Alternatively think it could be good with a longer shutter speed and blur anyone present.

Looks a good spot to play around though for sure.
Thank you. Never had my tripod with me this time, to get a longer shutter speed

Thank you. I was there for an hour, and this is the only one without people in it.

Thank you. Never had my tripod with me this time, to get a longer shutter speed
Now. Having seen it empty I’m thinking motion blur instead.

Maybe it’s the fact it’s otherwise ‘empty’ in the first version. Maybe more people in focus or with motion would have worked better (for me).

Ultimately though I can’t decide(!)
I can enjoy both posted images and visualise other versions.

Definitely a spot I’d revisit and play around if possible without annoying anyone!

Last edited:

For my money, whatever you are doing has to be clearly intentional for it to succeed.

If you'll forgive me, I'll use some photos of the London Underground to illustrate :)

If you are close to an axis of symmetry, then place yourself in exactly upon it, so that everything lines up

Northbound, Southbound by Rob Telford, on Flickr

and if you are not going to do that, then make the offset very deliberate

Somehow the vital connection is made by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Sometimes you get it wrong. The most frustrating thing IMO is to be almost there. I kicked myself with this one when I got home, because I was standing ever so slightly to the right of where I should have been

Battersea Power Station Station by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Possibly I'm the only person to notice but I am very fussy about such things

Back