Leaf Cutter Bee

These guys are great to watch, shame they do not stay still for long, we have them nesting in the garden so see them knocking around quite a bit.

While it's a good photo it's a shame the DOF was not deeper, I think it would have been a great image if all the bee was in focus, not easy to do with these guys I know. :)

I had the chance to see one cutting away, I posted a few "snaps" a little while back:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=146244

Pretty close to a good shot, I reckon. Agree you need something like F11.

Pretty close to a good shot, I reckon. Agree you need something like F11.

that was at f16 (effective aperture) or so - the only thing i would say about this tokina lens is that the DoF seems much shallower than my equivalent sigma 105mm

that was at f16 (effective aperture) or so - the only thing i would say about this tokina lens is that the DoF seems much shallower than my equivalent sigma 105mm

I don't think DOF was a problem here, just the focus point is too far forward. The front of the leaf is in focus. I usually try to push the focus past the subject, then pull back to just get the focal point (usually the eye) in focus to maximise DOF. Not easy if the subject keeps moving I know!!

Back