learning the ropes in the cold of the lakes

Name
Sam Waterhouse
Edit My Images
Yes
This weekend I went out for the first time without my mentor/photography buddy/close mate and fellow member of ‘talkphotography’ Pete who not only taught me the basics of photography but talked me into getting the digital set up that I now own.:woot:

I have a Canon 450D with 18-55 is kit lens, a 55-250 is lens and most recently have treat myself to a set of grad filters and a polarising filter.

Normally Pete and I go out together and I constantly cheat and ask him his settings, then copy them and see if I can get a similar image(y). This time round I was on my jack Jones so C&C is definitely necessary. The PP is quick and simple in light room apart from 1, 2, and 3 that have been “fake HDR’d” with dynamic HDR.

Please let me know what you think. My biggest struggle was focus once the filters were in place I have fingers like chipolatas and at one point dropped my ring in the water.:eek:

waterfall_21.jpg

waterfall7.jpg

pier3.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

The first 2 look a little soft to me and I find the OOF foreground in #1 a little distracting - it would have been great if it were sharp.
No.2 is very good especially considering the (apparent) light.
Please straighten the horizon in #3 and #4 they are just off horizontal but the shot effects are very good.
Technically #5 is the best shot but I would love to see a bit of foreground interest (old beer can would do).
No 6 is a tad too dark for me - sorry.

First thoughts are #3 and '#6 could do with straightening to get the planks level with the bottom of the image. Also #3 seems to be lacking detail in the shadows...?

#1 - don't like the distraction in the foreground. Looks as though this has taken the focus of the image and the main feature is OOF. Try increasing the aperture and zooming in to the subject.

Good basis for some great work in the future. Please don't take my critique in thw rong way. My photography is by no means perfect but I try to improve based on others tips.

DB

Hey up Bud,

I quite like the first 2, aside from the blurred rock at the front in the first one, I can't see in the exif what aperture you were at, obviously stopping down would increase your dof but something that close you would have to do a bit of hyperfocal distance magic.

You have a bit of barrel distortion in 3, easily correctable in photoshop but I think someone else mentioned a little more care getting the pier exactly square on might have helped, although you could manipulate that in PS too.

I'd have had a go at using your 10 stop on the lake for some 30 second or so exposure, even at midday you can get down that slow, it'd have really smoothed the water and you might get a good effect. You should've got the 10-22 before the pound went down the loo!

I'd also say a couple of the ones done in portrait might be more suited to landscape but that's just personal taste.

Well done for getting out though dude, I liked the cold tree you emailed me, maybe try get some midweek if your about.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips guys, it all helps. my biggest problem was trying to keep the camera focused why'll messing with the slide in fillters... you think you have it then the auto focus spins your horizon, so you put it in MF then have to distort yourself and get your feet wet to look long enough through the view finder to sort it out. i suppose it all comes with practice, something i'm not getting enough of.

i also struggled with the 3 stop fillter because it was so dark i couldn't see through the view finder, thanks for the blog pete.

:shrug:finally please note i thing i have a real medical problem with my eyes and horizons, i can NOT GET THEM LEVEL(even in PP with all the funky lines):shrug::bang:

I really really like the first one, it looks soft but I think it really adds to the feel. I would go so far as to say that it wouldn't actually work if it was pin sharp. Very satisfying to look at :).

Not at all bad for a first set of photos. 2,3 are for me the best of them

Back