Critique Leatherhead FC vs Tonbridge Angels

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I shoot for Tonbridge Angels and was at Leatherhead this weekend for the Ryman Premier clash between the two. Ended up in a 0-0 draw. Not a lot of chances in the game either unfortunately.

A few pics from the game, was quite happy with this set as it was grey skies and intermittent rain.

Could I please have some opinions on how I could improve the shots in the future, if you'd be so kind?

Many thanks,
Wez

P.S. Full set can be found here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147114984@N06/albums/72157677259217504

DSC_2612 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2689 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2780 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2827 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2874 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2672 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2601 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

DSC_2649 by Wesley Filtness, on Flickr

As a supporter of the non-league game (quick shout for Chorley F.C.) I love them. Is that Jimmy Bullard (ex-just about everywhere) in the middle of the bottom shot?

Only a small point, but should improve your images a little. Compostion-wise, don't have the action happening in the centre of the frame, give the players some space to run in to

Thank you Nigel.

I'm glad you said that because I predominantly take bird photos, always leaving space for the bird to fly into, and did the same initially with my footy pics.

But over time I noticed that most football photos seemed (to me) to be quite central with regards to composition, so turned into a bit of a sheep and started shooting/cropping them that way.

They tended to be more like #10 above as opposed to the rest of the shots above.

Will certainly give it some thought.

Many thanks,
Wez

Some nice photo's here, especially considering the challenging light conditions. Now, I'm not a great photographer by any stretch....so take any advice from this point on with so much salt that the British Heart Foundation label it as "extremely risky"

1. I personally would have cropped a bit more of the dead space on the left off, and gave a bit more on the right (not knowing whats on that side it may not be possible)
2. Crop tighter, there's a bit of flying turf/mud on the right of the picture which takes the eye away from the subject. Once I noticed it I keep going back to it.
3. Nice photo, but wonder if he made the tackle? This looks like a moment leading into what would be a better photo or a more action orientated shot much like.....
4. .....this one. Great timing, the facial expression makes this one.
5. Not doing it for me. the front player being out of focus distracts from the subject player in the background. This type of photo works imo when cropped much tighter into the upper halve of the players, cutting off at the waist.
6. I would have cropped the dead space around the photo out, for me it kills some of the intensity of the action.
7. Timing just a bit off for the perfect "foot hitting ball" photo but a good one still.
8. I feel getting tighter would be better, too much dead space in the photo.
9. Great timing in this one, facial expression again adds so much to this.
10. Doesn't really do much for me as there's not much going on.

Some nice photo's here, especially considering the challenging light conditions. Now, I'm not a great photographer by any stretch....so take any advice from this point on with so much salt that the British Heart Foundation label it as "extremely risky"

1. I personally would have cropped a bit more of the dead space on the left off, and gave a bit more on the right (not knowing whats on that side it may not be possible)
2. Crop tighter, there's a bit of flying turf/mud on the right of the picture which takes the eye away from the subject. Once I noticed it I keep going back to it.
3. Nice photo, but wonder if he made the tackle? This looks like a moment leading into what would be a better photo or a more action orientated shot much like.....
4. .....this one. Great timing, the facial expression makes this one.
5. Not doing it for me. the front player being out of focus distracts from the subject player in the background. This type of photo works imo when cropped much tighter into the upper halve of the players, cutting off at the waist.
6. I would have cropped the dead space around the photo out, for me it kills some of the intensity of the action.
7. Timing just a bit off for the perfect "foot hitting ball" photo but a good one still.
8. I feel getting tighter would be better, too much dead space in the photo.
9. Great timing in this one, facial expression again adds so much to this.
10. Doesn't really do much for me as there's not much going on.

Thank you for taking the time to critique them, Scott. Much appreciated (y)

I totally agree with the points about cropping tighter and removing the dead space on a few of them. I didn't though as it messes with the aspect ratio of the photos. Does this even matter? Maybe I should crop them and not worry about the aspect ratio? :thinking:

With regards to the second one, the mud flying on the RHS, I should've cloned it out but at the time I thought it may show how fast Nick was flying down the wing! He does enable me to get some nice ones :)

Thanks again, food for thought.

Up at Longmead this afternoon shooting vs Needham Market, with both teams chasing promotion. Should be a good game (y)

Some nice images, Wezza. I agree with some of the comments above. I'm often tempted to do 'waiting for action' pics (as in 5), but usually resist. As a set, I think they work. Is that really Mr Bullard? Grey hair? I'd never have recognised him.

Some nice images, Wezza. I agree with some of the comments above. I'm often tempted to do 'waiting for action' pics (as in 5), but usually resist. As a set, I think they work. Is that really Mr Bullard? Grey hair? I'd never have recognised him.

Thank you Carol. Yup, the one and only, the stress of managing Leatherhead must really be taking its toll! :banghead:

Thanks for the comment regarding number 5. I thought too that it would be fine as a story shot. I wouldn't have posted it a shot for critique on its own (y)

Hope you're well? :)

Last edited:
Back