Lee Filter holders New vs Old

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
SO I fancy buying the new Lee holder (just because I like the look of it)

Ive currently got 2 of the older style holders and a full set of Lee Filters including the Landscape Polariser.

I've seen you can attach the Landscape Polariser to the new holder but would there be a benefit of just buying the new holder and New polariser and selling my old ones?

Has anyone already upgraded / changed?

Thanks

I got both as upgrades and love them, buy them, you know you want to lol

I got the new one, lotta money, but glad I did.
I just feel its a better matching setup like that, but might be just me. Will say I was lucky at the time that I had
a bit of spare cash.

If you already have a 105mm Lee landscape polariser it doesn’t make sense selling and then buying the new version that fits the new holder (well it didn’t to me any way). The polariser ring that fits the new holder comes with the ring and the case so you don’t really get anything extra as such if you get the new holder polariser. Personally I felt if I didn’t already have the landscape polariser it could have made some sense getting the new polariser but other than the landscape polariser sometimes coming a little loose from the adapter ring when turning (that not really an issue) there probably isn’t a good reason to buy the new polariser. When I heard about Lee we’re updating the holder I was glad they had thought about people who already had the 105mm landscape polariser.

Even buying new doesn’t make much sense cost wise either:

WEX prices

Lee100 polariser adapter ring £42
Lee landscape polariser £157
Total £197

Lee100 polariser with built in holder £230

That’s a big cost to ‘upgrade’ as you won’t get anywhere new the new price for the 105mm landscape polariser, probably £100 so that’s an extra £90 just to have as one piece and supposedly some improved optical performance.

Last edited:
I upgraded to the new holder and bought the adaptor to use the old landscape polariser, it was fine apart from giving vignette on 16-35.

I then purchased the new polariser on Lee's advice and it was slightly better for Vignette on my Nikon 16-35 (no other difference) but was still unusable at 16/17 (maybe 18)mm on my Sony 16-35 GM, Lee afterwards said ohh yeah it doesn't work with that lens :(

I bought the polariser with the adapter after being assured it fits onto the 'old' filter holder only to discover it doesn't fit while standing on Dorsoduro looking at Il Redentore. Lots of swearing.

Rather than buy a new filter holder, does the 'upgrade' kit - available at MPB - work? has anyone tried this? Rather not spend too much having laid out £229 for the filter believing that it will be better value in the longer term now that good quality circular polarisers...

Back