Lee Filters - Polariser

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All

Just wondering if there are any image quality difference between using the Lee 100mm Polariser v the front mounted round one with the adapter.
I get the front mounted allows rotation independent of the main holder but as i never use (and dont own) any grads I dont think this is a issue.

Given i dont need the independent rotation is there any other reason to choose one over the other ?

Cheers
Rob

You still get independent rotation with either option if need be as you can fit what’s in effect a second holder to allow independent rotation of the square version. But for whatever reason it doesn’t seem a popular option at all. More faff and cost maybe and I assume vignettes earlier with wide angles.

The advantage of the 105mm circular option is that you can pick any brand so can choose your price and quality point.

Out of interest, why use a lee system at all if you don’t use grads? Just for speed?

Thanks both. Just for clarification I use ND filters a lot but dont use Graduated ones (hard or soft) hence not needing to rotate the Polariser separate the ND filter itself.
If i use the square polariser then I dont need the extra holder on the front as it can sit in the main holder with the required ND's.

Was just wondering if there was a quality difference between the circ and square options really before buying.

Rob

You could run into some vignetting with very wide angle lenses when turning the square holder but other than that.....

Last edited by a moderator:
My Nikon 16-35mm vignettes on my Lee Holder with 2 slots and a slim front polariser. If you will never use grads and can use the holder to rotate I would go for the square polariser. It's cheaper and will do the job just as well.

Cheers wookie6262, good to know, my widest lens is 20mm so should be good with the square option.

Thanks Soeren :)

Back