Leica enter the digital camera market using the 16:9 format

S

Steve

The new LEICA D-LUX 2 launched by Leica Camera AG, Solms is a compact digital camera offering excellent optical performance and many new functions for the creative photographer. As Leica's first digital camera with an 8.4 megapixel CCD image sensor, the LEICA D-LUX 2 enables unlimited image reproduction in the 16:9 format. The image impression is enhanced even further by the powerful 4x zoom lens LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT f/2.8-4.9/6.3-25.2 ASPH. with pronounced wide-angle range. Due to its ultra compact design, the LEICA D-LUX 2 is ideal for those spur-of-the-moment shots that require speed and extreme flexibility. In such situations, users will particularly appreciate the integrated image stabilizer which prevents blurred images all the way through to the telephoto range, even under difficult light situations.

“Thanks to its versatile functions, the LEICA D-LUX 2 offers unlimited photographic potential! The combination of manual settings and the various scene modes creates scope for individuality. Due to the successful symbiosis of state-of-the-art digital technology and Leica's optical expertise in a compact camera, the D-Lux 2 is ideal for capturing life's most beautiful moments, however unexpected,“ says Marius Eschweiler, Product Manager at Leica Camera AG.

Featuring a 2.5“ camera display and a resolution of 207,000 pixels, the LEICA D-LUX 2 takes brilliant pictures, enabling reliable and accurate assessment of the image for composition as well as reproduction. To save battery power, the display can be switched to a darker, low-power mode without having to sacrifice the outstanding image quality.

The powerful LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT f/2.8-4.9/6.3-25.2 ASPH. zoom lens consists of nine elements in eight groups. Its aperture of 2.8 and focal length span of 28 to 112 millimeters in the 35 mm format provide a wide range of possibilities for image composition from wide-angle to telephoto. The optics have been individually matched to the camera sensor. Together with the electronics and software, they produce true-to-nature color, excellent definition and high brilliance.

Successful results are additionally guaranteed by the integrated image stabilizer (O.I.S.) which can be switched on and off as required. This image stabilizer reliably compensates for slight hand movements to prevent blurred images whatever the photographic situation. Whether in twilight, indoors, for snapshots or in the zoom range, pictures are always sharply focused.

Using a switching lever on the lens, the user can define the photographic format by selecting one of three possible aspect ratios. Apart from the 4:3 format and the classic Leica format of 3:2, the LEICA D-LUX 2 offers for the first time the possibility of taking photos in the 16:9 format at the full resolution of over 8 megapixels. Depending on the chosen picture format, the resolution varies from 6 MP (for the 4:3 format) to 7 MP for the classic 3:2 format.

One of the interesting features that widen the application potential of the LEICA D-LUX 2 is the new Leica digital adapter for connecting the camera to the eyepiece of a LEICA TELEVID spotting scope. This turns the compact LEICA D-LUX 2 into a camera with an extremely long focal length range for ambitious bird and nature watchers. The images seen through the scope can be captured in frame-filling digital photos in impressive quality without vignetting. The 2.5“ monitor of the LEICA D-LUX 2 is ideal for frame selection and image composition when digiscoping. The optical image stabilization ensures shake-free nature shots even in poor light and extreme conditions.

The LEICA D-LUX 2 has a distinctive and concentrated design. Its clear lines and the reduction to the essential make the camera a typical Leica. The uncluttered layout of the controls and the simple operation concept allow intuitive handling. Manual focusing is facilitated by a joystick on the camera back.

The LEICA D-LUX 2 has a metal body of aluminum. To ensure a reliable and robust product, great attention was also paid to small details, and only high-quality materials were used.

The LEICA D-LUX 2 comes with a 64 MB SD card, a charger, a powerful rechargeable battery and an extensive software package (Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0, Quicktime Movie Player, USB driver). An AC adapter (for direct mains power supply for the camera), a spare battery and a selection of high-quality camera bags are available as accessories. The sporty Crumpler® bag of the German-Australian manufacturer of high-quality (photo) bags accommodates the camera, memory card and spare battery and protects them from damage. The bag is available in the trend colors red and charcoal-grey.

The LEICA D-LUX 2 will be on sale at Leica stockists from the end of November 2005.

More info and pictures can be found at Leica

Maybe made by panasonic? earlier Leica digatals were.

Maybe but I can't find any information on that. I know that comparred to some cameras this is basic and that it is bound to be expensive too but I really like the idea of having a lever that you can slide to alter the format from 16:9 to 3:2 or 4:3. How much fun would that be? :)

I remember when APS cameras first came out they made a huge fuss about their ability to take 'landscape' format shots, when all that really happened was that two little blinds covered part of the standard 35mm frame, I thought why not just take the full 35mm frame and crop out the bits you don't want after?.

The 16:9 format could be useful to wedding and landscape photographers I expect especially if the sensor is built in those dimensions, but I really can't see the point of the lever arrangement in these new leicas if it does something the same as the old APS system did (as it appears it must do).

Steep said:
The 16:9 format could be useful to wedding and landscape photographers I expect especially if the sensor is built in those dimensions, but I really can't see the point of the lever arrangement in these new leicas if it does something the same as the old APS system did (as it appears it must do).

At least though the Leica's working in the opposite way to the old APS cameras and therefore you get the full resolution at 16:9.

Steve said:
... the LEICA D-LUX 2 offers for the first time the possibility of taking photos in the 16:9 format at the full resolution of over 8 megapixels. Depending on the chosen picture format, the resolution varies from 6 MP (for the 4:3 format) to 7 MP for the classic 3:2 format.

Indeed. it is made by panasonic. The panny equivalent is the lx1. Basically the same camera in a different shell. oh, and about 200 notes for the name badge. apparently very good for street style stuff as the leica lens is fab.

and yes, it is an inherently 8mp 16:9 format sensor.

I had a look at the LX1 gallery at DPReview and have to say I rather like the wide format pics.

I have had a look too and while I like the format I don't think those examples are that good to show of the potential of this camera/s. In the right hands I am sure that some stunning photographs will be returned.

Sure you can do the same on a standard DSLR and then crop to that aspect but that is not really the point here. I would love one of these as second camera.

the noise issue has me worried about the LX1 I think this shot shows it at its worst as it were it does seem pretty noisy for a 2005 camera at this price point maybe when its dropped in price abit I look at it again

Back