Leica M8?

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Well Leica have finally gone digital with it's classic M Series in the shape of the new M8. A classic rangefinder camera in the the true tradition with shutter speeds on a dial and apertures on the F2 Summicron lens.

10 mega pixels and yours for £3K. I'm not sure what to think to be honest, but at least this is a Leica I'd definitely want to use.

Anyone tempted? :D

Full review here by a reviewer who admits to being totally biased. ;)

CLICKY

My Boss is selling his M7 to get the M8

Isnt there something strange about what lens's it can use, and they only recomend a certaim length (mm) like upto 110 or somthing. I remember reading about it somewhere.

I read the review earlier this week and it does look very special. Hopefully I get the chance to play with one soon :)

Definately has that engineered to last styling that Leica are renown for - just soo damn expensive :(

It doesn't handle noise very well apparently much above about 360 ISO. I know it's an icon and people will queue up to buy it anyway, but for that much dosh I'd expect better.

I still kinda want one though. :p

I think I'd have it in silver. :thinking: :D

It doesn't handle noise very well apparently much above about 360 ISO. I know it's an icon and people will queue up to buy it anyway, but for that much dosh I'd expect better.

I still kinda want one though. :p

I've heard the same. Damn shame really. Ideally I'd like it to be noise free to 400 growing as I increase to 3200 which would be lovely grain for black n white shots.

The Leica enthusiasts are already bitterly divided over whether it's a 'proper' Leica and if it should have had an 'M' prefix. :D

Leica have to go this route if they're to survive. :shrug:

I saw the pre-production maodels at Leica UK two years ago and it's very nice indeed. They were estimating that it's be 'upwards' of 8 MPI and 10 and a bit sounds about right.
It generally takes me about a day of shooting with my M6 to get back into the hang of shooting with a rangefinder camera, but there is something quite satisfying about the whole experience.
Even with the D2x's there isn't the same feeling I get with the Leica - it's a 'Grown-Up's' camera - it does nothing for you - you have absolute control over all aspects of its use. I think Leica will have to tweak the M8 a little before I consider it - seperating the ISO setting from the main menu via the LCD screen is a must, for example.
I'm not too fussed about the high-ISO-noise thing (I use a Nikon after all!) as most of my work is at ISO 400 or less regardless of the available light.

Looks very nice IMO.
BTW, according to the service manager at Leica, most so-called Lecia 'enthusiasts' never put film through thier cameras anyway...it's just jewellery for rich poseurs...

Back