Leica M8

Me too. My Nikon F80 is seeing more action than my D200's at the moment! Though strictly on a personal use level, everything work wise is all digital unless the clients specify otherwise.

OK I'm new to photography and I don't get what all the fuss is over an expensive limiting compact camera. Why an earth would someone who is into togging either as a hobby or even more so as a pro opt for this camera over nikon/canon and their plethora of lens and other kit? What in a nutshell am I missing?
In my pro days I had an M3, as did just about every other pro.

It lived in the bottom of the bag and when the SLR packed up because the rain got in, or the cold got to the batteries, out came the M3 and it worked - whatever the conditions.

Same if it was low light and flash not possible. You can focus with the rangefinder when you have no chance with an SLR.

If you knew you would need a big enlargement, away with everything else and out with the Leica.

If you needed a shot without drawing attention to yourself rangefinder Leicas are just about silent.

The lack of huge numbers of lenses is not a problem for pros. We buy the minimum kit that will do the job and leave equipment collecting to the hobby tog. Thats not meant to be offensive to hobbyists - if you enjoy collecting kit then go for it, its your cash. Just don't confuse it with photography

Back