Lencarta & Garry Edwards

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
As I always make clear in this forum when I say anything about Lencarta, I'm not completely impartial because I'm their photographer and product tester and I also have quite a lot of their equipment.

Things are changing now because I'm taking a more active role. I am now also their technical advisor and have taken on the responsibility of providing technical support to their customers (part of their commitment to providing the best customer support). At the moment, their website is about to change from something that doesn't do the job to something that should be excellent - but there are bound to be teething problems and, for the first few days it may not be possible to buy on line so I've agreed (I must be round the twist) to take 'phone orders during the transitional period. I'm probably the worst salesman in the world so I should be able to get rid of that part of the job very quickly;)

I'm pointing this out because although I'm not getting any sales commission from them:crying: I am not now as independent as I was. Mind you, that won't stop me recommending whatever equipment I think is most suitable on this forum, regardless of who makes it.

I've got my eye on the Lencarta 3 head kit as a birthday present from my wife, although she doesn't know it yet :)

I'd be happy to do some consumer testing on it for a few years for you - no charge.

Failing that I'll settle for a 50% staff discount (y)

Quick update...
The Lencarta site is now working properly and you can now buy on line, you don't have to put up with me any longer so I can now step back from being the worst salesman in the world to the worst techy support guy.
Those of you who want a hard life can still ring me if you really want to...;)

Ha ha

Ask Garry the lighting questions
all techy website questions to be forwarded to me with a good bottle of red wine

Garry can I just ask you a quick question about lighting as something is really bugging me?

I have a small set of studio lights at home and to practice I have been setting them up in my mums conservatory as there is no room at my place to set them up. Whenever I try to get the images to look right I just simply cannot get the exposure right, its either blown out or under exposed and its frustrating the life out of me.

Is it possible that its the conservatory with all the glass that is causing so many problems?

Paul,
A conservatory isn't ideal - unwanted light reflected from the glass, daylight coming in if you use it during the day, a bit on the small side etc - but I doubt whether that's the cause of the problem. Can you email me a sample pic complete with metadata? garry (at) photolearn.co.uk.

Paul,
A conservatory isn't ideal - unwanted light reflected from the glass, daylight coming in if you use it during the day, a bit on the small side etc - but I doubt whether that's the cause of the problem. Can you email me a sample pic complete with metadata? garry (at) photolearn.co.uk.

Sent, nice one for this

Now replied, hope it helps

does this mean there is a tp discount garry????:p

worth a try:LOL:, good luck with it garry(y)

Garry provided some excellent advice regarding my intial query and it was very much appreciated.
Yes the conservatory was causing many problems as the light was bouncing everywhere and reflecting off too many surfaces. Also the lack of a softbox was contributing to my problem, one which I have now rectified. Another of my problems is that I wasnt able to meter the lighting properly so I have ordered a Sekonic light meter and that should arrive today too!

Anyway, good sound advice was provided so cheers Garry!! If you ever do a training seminar count me in matey ;)

Yes, used it quite a bit. The ringflash head itself is basically similar to the previous model, i.e. it will work on any camera fitted with a standard central tripod bush and with any lens up to 98mm diameter (which is all of them). The difference is to the power pack, which is much more sophisticated. Anyone who fancies a trip to Bradford is welcome to have a play...

Garry, perhaps you could speak to Mr.Lencarta about arranging a TP discount? Lencarta gear is great for people getting into studio lighting, I have quite a lot of the stuff myself, its just the sort of product which might do well here.

Just a thought :shrug:

In-joke from Richard King, he wrote the new site, which replaced one that was ... er... less than perfect.

As for discounts, I can ask. The problem is that along with all other importers, Lencarta is suffering a lot from the falling value of the £1. I don't know what decisions will be taken about pricing but my guess is that this isn't a good time for me to ask about discounts - I will ask though, the worst they can do is fire me:LOL:

After seeing and using the lencarta gear at Garry's studio back end of last year when he did the group lighting day (very enjoyable) I have been thinking about getting the 2 head kit. If there was a discount that would proberly do it. :). Although not that I wanting Garry to loss is job ;)

After seeing and using the lencarta gear at Garry's studio back end of last year when he did the group lighting day (very enjoyable) I have been thinking about getting the 2 head kit. If there was a discount that would proberly do it. :). Although not that I wanting Garry to loss is job ;)

Just do it.. I got mine this week and they're worth every penny(y)

Will Lencarta be at Focus - and any deals likely to be available there?

Will Lencarta be at Focus - and any deals likely to be available there?

Err... No. Maybe in the future but not this year.

Everybody always looking for deals.

Me too! but would 5 or 10% really make that much difference on your decision to buy lighting. I have used Bowens in Studios and have in the past used Interfit.

Last month I bought a Lencarta Kit. My purchasing decision was made after an invite to Garry's studio to look at the kit. Gary is no salesman (sorry Garry) and that I liked, no one trying to only show me good features, no one trying to do a deal, no one reliant on this weeks sales to keep their job. I had time to play with and ask as many questions as I wanted about the kit.

Here is my honest oppinion.

If you need 1000 J + of power (ie you have a massive studio) buy Bowens.
If you have a small to medium sized studio Lencarta 300J heads are as good as Bowens 500J heads.
Interfit are a lot further down the food chain.

Value for money in the 200 - 500J range lencarta all the way.

If there is a small niggle it is that all the necessary Lancarta Branded accessories are not fully in stock but I believe this is being rectified.

PS I got no discount - But £17.50 or £35 off the price would have made no difference when a similar Bowens kit would have cost £200 more.

I'd rather get good customer service than a discount.

I have too.

Thanks for the compliments (Garry is a lousy salesman, good customer service)

I think, from a business viewpoint, discounts are always a difficult question. My instruction is that lencarta doesn't give discounts but will and must give good customer service and I think the fact that they're willing to pay me to answer customer queries/sort out problems is evidence that customer service really does come first.
The companies that sell through retailers and which also sell direct themselves can't compete with their resellers and so are selling at the same price as their resellers and are obviously working on a much bigger profit than companies like Lencarta who don't use retailers. Therefore, those that sell through resellers can be very generous with discounts when selling direct to customers (for example at Focus) and still make a very good profit.

Lencarta has a customer at the moment who has been VERY unlucky. His problems need to be put right, and when I've had my lunch I'm going to ring him up and sort his problems out once and for all, which I'm able to do simply because there are no discounts, which gives me a bit of leeway.

If there is a small niggle it is that all the necessary Lancarta Branded accessories are not fully in stock but I believe this is being rectified.
Yes, that's a weak point. Company policy again, everything that's on the website is actually in stock and ready to go, except that there are a few things which are on order but still on the website and can be bought. In each case the item is clearly marked, telling people that it's out of stock and when it will be available. Each of these items at the moment is on route to the warehouse and will be available by the end of the month. Some companies list goods that aren't even on order, which I feel is wrong. Lencarta only lists out of stock items if they will be available in less than a month.
Getting new stock in does take time unfortunately, existing designs have to be made (it isn't off the shelf stuff with no name on it, badged by the seller as with some 'brands' and that typically takes a month, then another month for delivery/customs clearance/warehousing. New designs take far longer, because everything has to be tested thoroughly before going into production. If the accessories were just 'no name' items there would be far more available but I hope there will be a much wider range available as time goes on.

I did my research ALOT before getting the lencarta kit, and i have to say that having Garry responding so quick to my issues and questions would make me decide on the product even if it was a bit more in price.

I dont want to sound like an a**e kisser, but its very reassuring to have constant customer service. Cant buy that.

I have just purchased my first few Lencarta items and am very pleased with the build quality but most of all more than pleased with the customer care shown by both Garry and Lencarta. I will admit there were a couple of issues with the kit that I received, but Garry could not have been more helpful and accommodating if he tried (even telephoning me at length a couple of times to get to the bottom of the issues) and I am more than happy with the outcome, to the extent that although I have found somewhere about 10% cheaper on average for S-type fit modifiers (in particular a 70cm beauty dish) I will be buying mine from Lencarta.

So whilst not looking for a discount I am actually willing to pay slightly over the odds for good customer service and the knowledge that if I have a problem they will bend over backwards to sort it out. I have no connection with either Garry or Lencarta other than as a very satisfied customer who will be purchasing from them again.

Once I've got a bit of money together I'll be getting the Lencarta kit for sure, I've heard some good feedback about them and I also trust Garry's experience and knowledge.

I was going to get the kit a few weeks back but a couple unexpected visits to the dentist dented my photography kit fund :(

did I read somewhere that there is a place you can go to "kick the tyres" before buying?
I'd love a set of lights but wouldn't mind having a look at them before committing.

did I read somewhere that there is a place you can go to "kick the tyres" before buying?
I'd love a set of lights but wouldn't mind having a look at them before committing.

You're welcome to come to my studio (Bradford) to try them out for yourself.
I've got practically all of their products here, plus some pro Elinchrom which you can compare them with.

P.M. me if you'd like to try before you buy

Thanks Garry
you have a PM! :naughty:

Back