Lens advice for newbie to DSLR

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I have upgraded to a Canon 400D from a Canon Film SLR.
With the camera came a 18-55 EF-S, 80-200 lens, both Canon and a Sigma 75-300 DL Zoom.
I have a 38-76 EF lens and a 80-200 both Canon with my 35 film.

Which of the lenses would be best to keep with the DSLR.
And as a retired person with more time to play, what would each lens be best used for.
I am thinking about enrolling on a photography course at the local Adult Educations centre is this worth it, or do I just play and learn.

Sorry it's a bit long winded but I have lots of time on my hands now.

John

Hi John, welcome to the forum :)

Do you have a preference to any particular type of photography?
I'm far from an expert so I will leave others to advise you on additional lenses.
With regard to a photography course I am also considering doing the same but hopefully via night school.
It sound to me like you have a head start over some of us here as you said you've upraded from a film SLR.
Are there any techniques you feel that you need to learn about in more depth?
The tutorials on the forums are quite handy but perhaps like me, you would prefer to able to ask questions face to face to get a better understanding of things.

Either way, the people here are a great bunch and the advise I have received is fantastic in these forums.

I see you now have two 80-200mm lenses John. Are they both the same as I understand Canon produced a f2.8 version and a f4.5/5.6? As regards the Sigma lens it will probably fit OK but may not work properly. As I understand it that lens was produced prior to 2002 and as such the controlling chip may not be compatable with your camera. I did hear that Sigma where offering a service to replace these chips but I have no experience. The 38-76mm should be fine but remember the 400D has whats known as a x 1.6 crop sensor (relative to full frame) which means the field of view when using that lens will be subject to the 1.6 multiplyer (38 becomes 60mm approx and the longer end becomes effectively 120mm).

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Steve, both Canon 80-200 are 4.5/5.6. I bought the film SLR for my daughters wedding 11 years ago and both my wife and I forgot to take the camera with us. It has mainly been used for holidays, Switzerland, Canada any mountains.
The Sigma seems to work OK autofocus etc. Am going to the Norwegian Fjiords end of month so will see how I do.
Can you explain 1.6 crop sensor etc, I'm thick in this area.

John

John sounds like the Sigma may have already been modified which is good. As regards the 'crop factor' thing it would be easier if you simply typed 'crop factor' into google than me trying to explain, but essentially it means that because your camera has a smaller sensor than a full frame digital camera, it only sees a part of the image projected by the lens - hence the term 'crop factor'. Full frame digital cameras are so called because they have a sensor that is more or less the same size as a 35mm film camera.

Thanks Gofer, I've read it! Now will try to understand it, think I've got it, after all I was an Electrical Engineer at one time.

John

Back