Lens AF fine-tune out of the box

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using my Nikon 85mm 1.8 for a while now and it wasn't as sharp as I expected. After reviewing some images I noticed it was back-focusing a lot. I did an af fine-tune and on a scale of -20 to +20 it was at between -10 and-16. This was a new lens out of the box.

Fortunately I noticed a) that is wasn't as sharp as I expected b) that it was back-focusing and c) that this was a fairly easy fix. I imagine a lot of people end up using a lens that's permanently out of focus.

My question is whether this is due to inconsistencies in the lens mount on the lens, the camera flange, or some software issue. If it's the lens, surely they can check them after they've been made?? And if not, surely there should be some instructions on how to do it that come with the lens. Like when you get a new TV you have to programme the channels or whatever.

I guess once it's been bought, if the buyer knows enough about photography to notice there's an issue they'll know how to fix it? If not, then though luck...

I've been using my Nikon 85mm 1.8 for a while now and it wasn't as sharp as I expected. After reviewing some images I noticed it was back-focusing a lot. I did an af fine-tune and on a scale of -20 to +20 it was at between -10 and-16. This was a new lens out of the box.

Fortunately I noticed a) that is wasn't as sharp as I expected b) that it was back-focusing and c) that this was a fairly easy fix. I imagine a lot of people end up using a lens that's permanently out of focus.

My question is whether this is due to inconsistencies in the lens mount on the lens, the camera flange, or some software issue. If it's the lens, surely they can check them after they've been made?? And if not, surely there should be some instructions on how to do it that come with the lens. Like when you get a new TV you have to programme the channels or whatever.

I guess once it's been bought, if the buyer knows enough about photography to notice there's an issue they'll know how to fix it? If not, then though luck...

This is one of the reasons why I switched to mirrorless where this issue doesn't exist unless there is a fault as the a.f module is on the sensor.

Unfortunately every lens when I shot Nikon to be perfect had to be tuned and retuned on a regular basis ( I did mine every 3 months) for best a.f perfomance as focus will drift over time.

It isn't a software issue the lens mounts and lenses are made to within a tolerance, if you are very lucky they match up together or near as dammit without and need to fine tune, in most cases though tuning will be needed.

This is one of the reasons why I switched to mirrorless where this issue doesn't exist unless there is a fault as the a.f module is on the sensor.

Unfortunately every lens when I shot Nikon to be perfect had to be tuned and retuned on a regular basis ( I did mine every 3 months) for best a.f perfomance as focus will drift over time.

It isn't a software issue the lens mounts and lenses are made to within a tolerance, if you are very lucky they match up together or near as dammit without and need to fine tune, in most cases though tuning will be needed.

This!

One of the major pluses of mirrorless systems (especially as someone who loves shooting primes wide open) is not needing to fine tune lenses.

I had a Nikkor 50mm f1.4G, that was just a bit soft fully open, to about f4 or so. Tried all the AF fine tune thingy, but it was just a bit soft. Sharp as, at f4, but you want a lens to be sharp wide open. I must admit that's the only lens I've bothered messing with the AF fine tune thingy; all my others seem fine.

I had a Nikkor 50mm f1.4G, that was just a bit soft fully open, to about f4 or so. Tried all the AF fine tune thingy, but it was just a bit soft. Sharp as, at f4, but you want a lens to be sharp wide open. I must admit that's the only lens I've bothered messing with the AF fine tune thingy; all my others seem fine.
I’ve heard the 1.8g is sharper than the 1.4g. I’ve had the 1.8 and it was a bit soft wide open but that was after it was dropped on the floor... (Not by me!)

Back