Beginner Lens Care

Edit My Images
No
Just wondered if anyone had any guidance with regards to how to keep lenses in the best condition.
I see a few for sale on Ebay, with comments such as no fungus.
This has left me pondering if this a common problem, is it partly a product of damp and what are the best steps to avoid any deterioration in the quality of my kit.
I managed to get caught out in some light rain yesterday, so when I got home I towelled off any damp I could see and left the affected kit out on a table to ensure there was plenty of airflow, as opposed to just leaving it sat, damp in my camera bag.
What step do others take? Should I be collecting any silica packets I come across to keep near my kit?

Do just as you have done. If the lens gets lightly damp dry it with a cloth. Leave for the air to circulate round it. Before putting it away. If it gets really wet cover it with dry rice to draw off the water. To he;p prevent fungus you can stand it in sunlight with the caps off. You can use silica bags but thay have to be activated first.

Last edited:
I would also add in addition to the above always store kit in a bag with the little silica moisture absorbing sachets.

No need to baby them, let them dry, put them away, just as you are doing.

Actually, I keep all my lenses on a shelf so I can grab them quickly when needed but if you like to keep them in a bag then nothing wrong with that.

As above, I've never done anything special with my lenses.
Some I've had for almost 40 years and I have a couple of late 1950's lenses too.
As long as they are dry and not left anywhere daft you should be fine.

I've never had any fungus on any of my lenses.
Don't forget your camera...

I do the same if they get wet and dry them off. One thing to keep in mind is transferring them from a cold outside to a warm house as it may cause condensation. I just let them sit in the bag to acclimatise slowly to the new temperature before putting them away.

I keep mine in a side board. I never leave the bag packed up unless I'm going out again in the next few days. Keeping them in the bag just makes it easier if your home gets broken into!

Back