Lens Compatibility

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nikon D70 and have now got got a Nikon FM2 (film) for my A level course. My next project is landscape and I have something in mind but need to use a wideangle lens, sooooo.............

I have a Sigma 10-20mm for my D70. It doesn't have an aperture ring, so will it work on the FM2? Obviously it fits the FM2, and I can focus and zoom the full range with it, but I can't change the aperture setting as the camera is fully manual.

:help:

I seem to recall reading that digital-only lenses can cause damage when used with non digital cameras? Something to do with the inside of the lens being too close to the mirror IIRC. Hopefully someone will come along in a minute who actualy remembers what the score with this is and can offer slightly more insight! :)

I think you're snookered Cheggers. Purely mechanical cameras like the FM2 usually had a little metal arm which pushed forward when you pressed the shutter button and made contact with a pin or lever on the rear of the lens, which stopped the lens down to the pre set aperture. The whole linkage was purely mechanical. Modern lenses achieve aperture settings via mating electrical contacts on the rear of the lens and on the camera. The FM2 simply wont have the electrical gubbins to connect with the lens.

Also as Witch points out a lot of modern digital lenses intrude further into the camera and there's a real danger of them fouling the mirror, stopping it flipping up and even causing damage.

If you open or remove the camera back, set the shutter on 'B' and press it, the shutter will remain open as long as you keep the shutter button depressed. You'll be able to look through the open shutter from the rear and possibly see if there's any danger of mirror fouling.

Hmmm.... you have a two-fold problem here mini..... :(

1 - The lens is designed for digital cameras which means it would vignette heavily and, as has already been said, there is a chance that the rear of the lens will foul the mirror movement.... definitely not good.

2 - The lens is the equivalent of a G-series lens and as you've said it itself has no control for the aperture. The control for this is set from the camera. The FM2 aint got no such means of control....

Double whammy!

Even if you took the chance of it not fouling the mirror you still couldn't control the aperture... :(

Bummer! BUT... the FM2 is one the best cameras Nikon ever made.Despite it not being a flagship model like the 'F' series, the build quality satisfied many pros who used it as their workhorse. Don't part with it! ;)

Thanks for that.... looks like I'll have to re-think my landscape shoot. Hope the guys on the Dorset meet have their thinking caps on :LOL:

Easier than thinking caps mini.... make sure one of them has a D-series wide angle with them.... that'll work ;)

Cheryl, I have a Tokina 19-35 you can borrow if you can collect. It works with my F series cams as well as my D70, so if the mount on the FM2 is the same, I can't see too many problems...

You're welcome to use my Sigma 15-30, too - which on a ff body equates to pretty much 10-20 :)

Cheryl, I have a Tokina 19-35 you can borrow if you can collect. It works with my F series cams as well as my D70, so if the mount on the FM2 is the same, I can't see too many problems...

Cheers for the offer, but as Hoodi has kindly offered to let me use his lens, I'll take him up on it (makes sense as Hoodi is going to the meet too).

Thanks Hoodi :D

No worries min - it should work on a manual body. Has an aperture ring and is AI-S, so I can't see any reason for it not to!

You can use old lenses with new cameras but not new lenses with old cameras.
Unless you get some kind of adapter.
Ask, borrow, return.

Back