Lens Contact cleaning.

Name
Ian Hathaway
Edit My Images
Yes
I've looked in the search facility and can't really find anything.
I've recently bought a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 from a well known auction site. It has worked fine until last week, now I keep getting an error code 001 telling me to clean the lens contacts. I have tried this with lens cleaning fluid to no avail. Its an old lens I presume looking at the constuction and the af is rather slow, but its quite sharp when it works.
My question is, should I use something a little more abrasive to get a better contact with the body? I obviously dont want to damage the body contacts. The body is a 50D. Also all my other lens's work fine.
Cheers All
Ian..

i use the soft rubber found on the end of a pencil , just give it a gentle rub ..
i'm not sure that using lens cleaning solution is a good idea .:shrug:

Cheers.
No I don't think it is a good idea because it didn't work:bonk::bonk:.
I'm opening my daughters pencil case as we speak. Thanks(y)
I'll give it a try.
Ian.

Brilliant!!! The gunge on the rubber is unbelievable considering they looked "clean":eek::eek:
Works a treat now:woot::woot::woot:
Thanks mr err bugga:clap::clap::clap:

i use the soft rubber found on the end of a pencil , just give it a gentle rub ..
i'm not sure that using lens cleaning solution is a good idea .:shrug:

What a great piece of advice - will def try this :clap:

Took the lens with me to a friends party last night and after roughly 20 shots the ER1 message came up again:bang::bang:. I tried cleaning the contacts again to no avail.
The rubber definately removed ground in dirt but I think due to the age of the lens, it maybe another problem, possibly wear. Any other ideas anyone???
Cheers
Ian..

Any ideas are all welcome. Still can't get it to work.
Thanks
Ian..

Back