Lens Dust... Rather annoying...Edit "Less annoying than a bust Lens"

Edit My Images
Yes
I was carefully cleaning my lenses etc etc, when I noticed that there is a considerable amount of dust inside the 17-85mm kit lens.

So being a fairly competent and hands on kinda guy I thought I might strip it down and clean it.

But I'm not entirely stupid so I did a bit of googling first.

Perhaps I shall leave the dust where it is.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/694090Have a look

Bloody hell, you wouldn't want to loose your disambly instructions would you :eek:

I think I agree - better left alone (y)

works a treat
and all these bits left over

oh and there's some glass bits too!

All zoom lenses get dust in them, it's a fact of life , but if you do want to have a go at cleaning it then you don'thave to strip the lens right down like the one in the link, just remove the front element....

This is what I was left with when I recently took apart an old Pentax 28-85 AF lens that I had dropped years ago. The zoom had stiffened up and it wouldn't focus on infinity. I took it apart more out of curiousity rather than hoping I could fix it. I'm not new to dismantling things to fix, but this was one occasion where I was glad I didn't have to reassemble it. In the end what I got out of it was a nice centre tube with lenses that makes an excellent loupe for viewing film slides on a light box.

I was carefully cleaning my lenses etc etc, when I noticed that there is a considerable amount of dust inside the 17-85mm kit lens.

So being a fairly competent and hands on kinda guy I thought I might strip it down and clean it.

But I'm not entirely stupid so I did a bit of googling first.

Perhaps I shall leave the dust where it is.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/694090Have a look

:eek: My stalinist lenses on my voigtlander look like bricks in comparison!

try taking that to the canon repair center, and explaining what happened:LOL::LOL::LOL:

All zoom lenses get dust in them, it's a fact of life , but if you do want to have a go at cleaning it then you don'thave to strip the lens right down like the one in the link, just remove the front element....

Thats what I thought but it appears that this lens needs stripping totally to get to the front element. :(

Thats why I thought but it appears that this lens needs stripping totally to get to the front element. :(

Does it need stripping just to get to the front element? I've seen some pics by a guy who cleaned a 17-55/2.8 by just prizing off the bezel inside the filter threads and then unscrewing a simple retaining ring underneath. From memory, he used a pair of dividers to do it, but I can't find the link now.

My 17-55 has a few specs inside and when it gets bad, as seems inevitable with any lens that extends during zooming, I'll give it a go. I used to take my old lenses (and camera :eek: ) apart as a lad out of curisoity, but they were a lot more simple then. But unless you get deep into the tricky mechanicals I don't see why it should be so hard. If it all goes wrong, I'll send it off to Canon, which is where it would have gone in the first place. Nothing to lose the way I see it (y)

For the Canon 17-85 IS. The front nameplate (goes around the outside edge of the front element) is a thin piece of metal plate which is glued in place with a permanently tacky glue. Carefully lifting this will reveal three small screws holding a rotatable plastic ring. Mark the position of the screws relative to the plastic ring they are holding in place. Undo the screws and the ring and the front element will drop out. Clean and re-assemble. Ensure the screws are in the same position relative to the plastic ring. Put the metal plate back in place and press firmly to secure.

Takes about 10 minutes.

John

For the Canon 17-85 IS. The front nameplate (goes around the outside edge of the front element) is a thin piece of metal plate which is glued in place with a permanently tacky glue. Carefully lifting this will reveal three small screws holding a rotatable plastic ring. Mark the position of the screws relative to the plastic ring they are holding in place. Undo the screws and the ring and the front element will drop out. Clean and re-assemble. Ensure the screws are in the same position relative to the plastic ring. Put the metal plate back in place and press firmly to secure.

Takes about 10 minutes.

John

I had a closer look at the front end, and there is a tiny hole in the name plate next to the USM writing is this where i should try to pry it open?

I had a closer look at the front end, and there is a tiny hole in the name plate next to the USM writing is this where i should try to pry it open?

Yes. But that name plate bezel is extremely delicate and bends easily. Be very gentle and you might just get it off without damage. No matter if you don't, it's only a cosmetic dust shield, but it won't look good if you come to sell it.

.... sorry, trying not to laugh, because I know I would bang my head against the wall if this happened to me...

But it is an oxymoron isn't it! :) Good thing, now you can get it fixed AND cleaned!

Hope it's nothing serious mate!

Took my Tamron 17-50 apart the other week :) was easy and is now sparkly clean inside :D woop woop.
3434187159_be2e27c3f3.jpg

3434183333_fa0ed3ce5c.jpg

3434179169_ecb4553e69.jpg

Back