Lens Flare

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
I'm really getting into the "Classic Camera's" I love the effect they have.

This maybe a stupid question but how do you get those orange lens flares you often see in "Vintage Photography"? Is there any way you can influence this or is it purely down to luck?

Thanks

Can you show us what you mean, you may well be talking about a light leak rather than a lens flare, flare tends to be a streak of low contrast with aperture shaped spots rather than a coloured streak.

That appears to be a light leak and/or a development problem (y)

Ahh klkl... so I could I create this effect by just allowing a little light in the developing pricess?

I don't know about introducing it in development, as I don't develop, but on camera it's the fault of the light seals around the film compartment.

Ahh ok... So I guess it happens as the foam degrades. I have also heard of people opening the back a little but that sounds very dangerous to me lol!

Ahh ok... So I guess it happens as the foam degrades. I have also heard of people opening the back a little but that sounds very dangerous to me lol!

Indeed - a 1/1000 second exposure throug h a hole as small as your little fingernailm so just imagine how small a hole and how little time would be required to generate a light leak from opeing the back. :puke:

I would get a couple of rolls of poundland colour film. stick one on the window ledge in direct sunlight for a week to screw up the colours. Then shoot the two films off at once on one subject so your pics are all the same, then re-load the films stick the lens cap on and try introducing light leaks every 3rd frame or so and then develop to see the results, keep notes of what you do. if you want a fast leak take off the lens and partially cover the resulting hole the shutter speed will control your leak also try popping the back and closing it immediately (you will get little light directly on the film).

play and take notes basically.

If my pictures came out like that.....I'd throw the ******* camera away..:LOL:

...only after punching the living daylights out of the skate punk who nicked it from me and took those awful shots though John ;)

I must admit, I am not keen on the photos above but think the leaked light effect is cool :p

If my pictures came out like that.....I'd throw the ******* camera away..:LOL:

I like the first one, it's got the lot - light leak, dirt on the neg, boring subject, lousy composition, camera on the p**s AND a pole growing out of the bloke's head!

Back