Lens flare?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys I wonder if I could pick your brains again. Ignoring all the other technical faults with this photo below :LOL: could anyone explain what causes what I am assuming is lens flare over the tree on the left of the image? Is it simply because I am shooting directly into the sun? Is there anyway to reduce the effects of this?

DSC_0101_zps3cab2aa9.jpg

I am no expert, but I think the f/25 would be a main cause. It seems f/8-11 is recommended.

Last edited:
Hi Gary. Yes, don't shoot with the sun directly at the lens! Apart from the flare, the burned out disc of the sun is unattractive. Best way is to have a cloud, a tree or some structure shieldig the sun, as (1) looking directly at the sun will damage your eyes (2) damage your camera sensor. And the rest of the pic is underexposed.

It is shooting into the light, aperture won't make a difference. F25 will indeed soften the image through defraction but won't affect the flare spots other than to introduce the star effect on the sun.

Some lenses are worse for it than others, and make sure you've not got a UV filter or CPL on the lens (the UV could well introduce flare, a CPL might and in any case shooting direct into the sun it will have a minimal polarising effect) and that your lens is as clean as possible (smears and dirt may worsen flare).

Beyond that, other than not shooting into the sun, you could clone those bits out easily enough. I shoot into the sun a lot and have to make sure my filters (grads, Big Stopper etc) are spotlessly clean and scratch free.

Back