Lens for 450D

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided which camera I will get, but I wanted to decide on my lens too (aside form the kit on which comes with it.)

Assuming that the kit one will do me for most day-day encounters. I'm looking for one with more range too. I would like to take some action photos when I go watch the ice hockey. So that's usually about 10-20 metres away and pretty fast moving!

I was considering choosing the Canon 55-250 IS lens. but wanted to know if there are any other good alternatives I should consider instead. My budget for the lens should be no more than about £250 though.

Edit: Also, is 2nd hand a good option. Could I likely pick up a better lens for a bit less than my budget even?

Thanks,

David

yeah, the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM is £329. but gets good reviews. The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS is £185, but without the USM motor i think its classed as louder and slower to focus? The experienced people here will be able to comment!

I too want one of these lenses!

if you can afford the 70-300 its meant to be a gem, downsides are a rotating barrel and that means it can spook things!

What type of lens do I need for doing landscape things. I guess it'd help if I showed an example or 2 of the kind of thing I mean (hope my friend doesn't mind as they're his pics!) Like the kind of lens spec to do this....?

I won't put them all in display, I'll just link the pics, else my post will be very long and large!

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5
Pic6
Pic7
Pic8

Thanks,

David

the kit lens should be fine. if you want to go wider then there are the 2 most popular wide angle lenses

canon 10-22mm
Sigma 10-20mm

The 55-250 is a great lens for the money. It pretty much lives on my camera, is relatively small and lightweight. The one downside, it's not USM and can be quite slow to focus.

Back