Beginner Lens for aviation

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

I have just taken the step into the world of DSLR's. Primarily I will be shooting aviation, I have an 18-55 mm lens with my canon 1100d. Which will be fine for static shots. Next up I am looking at a zoom lens, from what I have seen the logical first step would be 75-300 mm??

I think I can pick up a canon or sigma for 75-100 quid. I am on a tight budget.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think you'll get anything longer than a 300mm for that price, so defiantly look into a 70-300 or very close equivalent for your Canon.

It really depends first of all the type of environment your going to be shooting in...I mean some airports your kit lens will be all you need depending on some good spotting location research, my local EMA I can quite often get away with my 24-70 on my 5D which is a very similar field of view as what your kit lens will give you on your 1100D where for smaller light/GA type aircraft you really do need a longer lens and truth be told you'll probably find yourself quickly disappointed with the results of the cheapest lens especially at the longer focal lengths...so it maybe worth saving that little longer to give yourself that little more choice...

There's a good adage, "buy cheap, buy twice" which is very true with photography, the good thing is that better kit holds its value so if you trade up in the future then better the kit, the least you'll loose from the purchase price generally, it's also worth considering used kit

Thanks guys, appreciate this advice, location/ environment wise (which I was meant to include) I will be in the grandstand at RIAT so approx 150-200m from the runway. As I have said I am brand new to this, I took my first steps at last years RIAT and was using a Fuji bridge camera, despite having to aim in front of the aircraft and do an unbelievable amount of cropping and improving I managed to get some half decent (IMO considering what I was shooting with) images. I will upload some shortly with a couple of questions.

Ok Guys,
So these are my images from last year, from the grandstand, shot using the Fuji Finepix S2500HD bridgecam. I'm guessing i just paste the link from my Flikr? Please let me know if you cant see the images. They have been cropped and edited.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zerobravo/9369915755/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zerobravo/9343817297/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zerobravo/9369884601/

I often tell my lads in the rescue team one of my favourite Adages 'Stupid Questions save lives' such as 'has anyone called an ambulance?' when arriving on scene. So bear with me if I am asking the obvious as i am practising what i preach!

First Question.... If i get a 75-300mm lens will i be able to at least slightly better the images i took with the S2500HD? The goal of taking pics to rival the best is a long way off, infact Everest is a more likely goal at this point! But baby step at a time and hopefully i will be taking some good shots!

Let me know guys i appreciate all of your time/ effort

First Question.... If i get a 75-300mm lens will i be able to at least slightly better the images i took with the S2500HD? The goal of taking pics to rival the best is a long way off, infact Everest is a more likely goal at this point! But baby step at a time and hopefully i will be taking some good shots!

If you get the 75-300mm yes, you will have the gear which will allow you to get better photos than last year. You will have to spend a bit of time learning how to get the best from it - but there are a few good threads here with suitable tips.
Also recommend you get out and practise once you get the lens - if you've not got an airport/airfield nearby then flying birds at a nature reserve are a fair substitute!

Richard, thanks very much for this advice. I have Three Days at an Airshow in July, and there are some awesome displays coming up for D-Day, so i will be getting plenty of hands on time with the Lens.

Thanks Again

Hi Danny

I've used up to 300mm lens okay for air shows previously - depending on which show and where you are in the grounds, 300mm will be manageable (especially as your on a crop body - 1.6x on a Canon) and you should get some great shots.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the Canon 75-300 lens - it's slow and not that good, you could end up disappointed with some results, the Canon 55-250IS is a better lens (although you do loose 50mm at the top end). I would look at the Canon 70-300IS model if you can stretch your budget, obviously you can go more and more expensive....

Enjoy your time at the airshow - don't forget to watch some of the displays though, not just trying to shoot everything...

Andy,

Many thanks buddy, Dont worry, i will catch plenty.... Its my 23rd year going along to RIAT.

Also a small amount of alcohol consumption too..... :beer:

Andy,

Many thanks buddy, Dont worry, i will catch plenty.... Its my 23rd year going along to RIAT.

Also a small amount of alcohol consumption too..... :beer:

23 - not managed 1 yet there :arghh:

Every time we make plans, something else crops up...Hopefully this year :D

I would recommend it mate, very good day.

I get mine booked in with the mrs well in advance, it is a clear.... dont make any plans on this day!

The 300mm end of a 75-300 zoom is going to be the minimum you need.
That's assuming the display line hasn't moved another 3 miles towards Birmingham. Be fine for take off shots and the landing rolls though, or for display teams like the red arrows, of which there are a lot this year.
In terms of quality, its fine for most uses, if (lets hope!) it's sunny, then you can stop down and that makes the quality very good.
The 'standard' lens you've probably seen in the FRIAT enclosure is the 100-400, which is I guess outside your price range, but Sigma do a similar range lens, second hand, you might one?
Other than that, have you thought about lens hire?
Bernie

Last edited:
ive just taken a whole bunch of shots at Biggin Hill air show ( one sample below ) to give you an idea what can be done with a 70-300 zoom.
i have canon 60D and this was shot with the SIgma 70-300 APO DG. which for the low end budget zooms is supposed to be one of the better ones ( rated as far as im aware better than the budget canon one) .

As for the cost of the lens

hunting around you can get it for around £100.. the APO version has improved optics over the standard Sigma ( there are several models ) BUT and this is probably a huge BUT.. no image stabalisation. though to be honest i doubt you will find a 70-300 with IS for the £100 mark

14425842761_dbb3338c19_c.jpg

Back