Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

My current gear is as follows:

Nikon D70
18-70 kit lens
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Sigma 70-300 APO

Ive been thinking about a pro-class lens for motorsport, as this is what I shoot most. There may be some ocasional other uses such as wildlife and other sports beside motorsport.

Anyway, the two lenses I have in mind are:

Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR £1200

Sigma 120-300 2.8 non DG version available in UK for £1300.

I will get a 1.4 tc for the Sigma, but probably will not get one for the Nikon as Nikon own converters are far too pricy.

I know these two lenses are of quite different focal lengths, but I really cant decide which would be better for motorsport! The Sigma will need a monopod, and the Nikon can be handheld I reckon. This will affect the kind of shots I can take, as I would imagine panning with the Sigma could be hard.

So, any thoughts anyone?

Also, the Sigma 120-300 DG is £400 more, does anyone think its worth going for that one? I hear the tripod mount might be better on the DG, but this I havent confirmed.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Cheers all! :D

Well people rant & rave about the VR, but will it be too short a focal length for you, plus do you need the lower end of zoom range ? Eg. go for 400mm & crop accordingly ?
Our resident MotoX shooter is probably better placed to advise.

See if Arkady will lend you one in March 06 ?

That 600mm F4 on his list should do you.

See his recent thread - there is a link there with the price :whistle2:

;)

The 70-200VR lens is a stonking lens (I used to own one before switching to Canon).

70-200 is the ideal length for motor sport, but it all comes down to what type you will be shooting.
If its rallying you can't go wrong with this lens, but for curcuit racing you may need something longer.

I would go for the Kenko pro300 series TC's over the Sigma, they are quite small against the canon version, but give identical results.

You may be interested in this thread on another forum.
The kit may still be available.

We use 300mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 lenses for sports, bearing in mind that gives you effective focal lengths of 450mm and 900mm respectively on most DSLRs (and I'm still crap at it:hissyfit: ). if you can get close to the action then the 70-200 VR will be the best option (I actually prefer the older, non-VR lenses as I think they're sharper - the Nikon rep I spoke to today disagrees with me, needless to say:nut: )

Buying a converter is fine if the sun's out, but don't forget you reduce your max aperture as well, restricting your shutter speeds. The pros use fast optics for a reason, you know.

Sorry about the smilies - I just figured how to access them...:getmecoat

Thanks for the replies all.

It appears the Nikon might be out, as its so damn hard to get hold of in this country. Import is an option though (even then its difficult).

The TC is for when I really need the extra lenght on the Sigma. Looks like the Sigma might be the way forward. I think I might get a 70-200 at another point, maybe the Sigma one.

Now to decide whether to get the DG version or not. £400 would buy me most of a Sigma 70-200 2.8!

I was in the same position as you, only with Canon.

I had a 70-200 F4 L but it wasn't really long enough for equestrian or some motocross tracks so I had a look, and tried on the camera, the sigma 100-300 F4, the canon 100-400, and finally the sigma 120-300. The sigma is a class lens, but it's big and it's heavy. However it's sharp, quick and there are times I feel I went for the wrong one when I picked the Canon, mainly due to the focus speed being slightly sluggish for motocross. It should be fine for everything else though.

I'd have thought a monopod would almost be essential to use the sigma all day.

Joe T said:
Just found the Nikon on the auction site for around £1100. The Sigma is about the same price.

Shall I just get both? :p

yes yes yes :smilenod: but then the bank might say :no3: look at your bill :rules:

(oooh i love smilies)

incedently i found 200mm plenty for motorsport last time i did it but then i did have a good position.

I've got the 70-200mm and it is AMAZING, however I found it a bit short at Silverstone this year, even with the 1.7x TC..

I reckon you want a 400mm F2.8 for motorsports, but that's not cheap...

Joe T said:
It appears the Nikon might be out, as its so damn hard to get hold of in this country. Import is an option though (even then its difficult).

Where the Hell are you then...?

Ahhh... we have about 20 on the shelf in Cosford and another 70 or so on the shelves at Hereford and PATA...at a rough estimate there's another 20 at Lydd and another 20 or so spread around the Divisions.
Looks as though we cornered the market then.
Blame Calumet, as they supply the MoD and Police Forces in the UK with all their photgraphic gear.

Arkady said:
Ahhh... we have about 20 on the shelf in Cosford and another 70 or so on the shelves at Hereford and PATA...at a rough estimate there's another 20 at Lydd and another 20 or so spread around the Divisions.
Looks as though we cornered the market then.
Blame Calumet, as they supply the MoD and Police Forces in the UK with all their photgraphic gear.
Can you get me one? ;)

If I 'lose' one I pay 1/3 of the target price of the lens.

I'm currently using an older 80-200 IF-ED f/2.8 lens, which I prefer, with the twist-zoom.

There's no guarantee that I'd get a like-for-like replacement. Wait until the new-NEW ones appear and I'll have a long hard think...:suspect1:

Back